Turntable to mixer help?

alexamiles

So i recently picked up a mixer (behringer x1204usb) and am trying to route my turntable to it (audiotechnica lp60). The turntable output is RCA, and the mixer only supports rca connections for 2-track and usb i/o. However this prevents me from recording my vinyls into my computer/mpc as it doesnt show up in logic as an input signal. I have a stereo breakout 1/4 trs to RCAF converter, which allows me to plug it into a line in channel and this works as far as getting input signal, but the signal itself is distorted. sounds like im only hearing playback from one microphone in the recording, the guitar/keys/vocals will sound perfect but everything else will sound muffled in the background. Do i have the wrong cable? wrong input? please help!

The "stereo breakout 1/4 trs to RCAF converter" is one 1/4" stereo plug into two RCA plugs? This means you're basically summing the two channels from the turntable into one mono channel on the mixer, which is causing it partly cancelling each other out, which in turn results in the muffled sound. So you'll need a different cable (2 x mono RCA to 2 x mono 1/4" TS). Also check that you're utilizing the LP60's internal phono preamp (the output should be set to "line") - but I doubt this is the issue.

That makes sense. I wanted to utilize the one-knob compression on the line-ins for my records, i didnt think about the fact that they were mono since the other strips without the compressor are already stereo. So ill need the dual trs mono connection, got it. Thanks alot!

Back