Trying to find the right studio monitor stands for M-Audio AV40s

entropics

Hi all,

I just received a pair of M-Audio AV40's as a gift, and they're incredible. Now I'm trying to find a set of stands for them so that I can get them at the proper ear level (and preferably off my desk), but somehow I'm having trouble figuring out which stands are the right ones to buy. It seems that the AV40s don't support any sort of mounting mechanism, so I'm guessing that the only thing I could really use is something like the On-Stage SMS6000s. Would post a link but I can't yet with my post count.
I'm hesitant for a few reasons, though:

1. The AV40s are 6"x7.25" (WxD), and the SMS6000s have platforms which are 9.5"x9.5". Is there any drawback to putting my monitors on platforms which are too big? Would I get any sort of reduction in sound quality based on the placement?
2. I don't quite understand how this whole setup would be sturdy. From what I gather, the bases of the SMS6000s are triangular to prevent them from being knocked over. The AV40s would then be sitting on top of padded platforms, so that they won't slide around. Is this sufficient protection against my speakers being knocked over if somebody/something were to bump against the stands? And finally,
3. The price, of course. I'd be willing to pay 90 bucks or so if I was sure I'm getting exactly what I need, but I'm wondering whether I'm overlooking a less expensive solution.

Am I headed in the right direction?

Amazon.com will have what you're looking for. I buy everything from them. Just check the reviews, shipping, and the ratings before purchase.

Back