Why don't DJ controllers support FLAC?

pish_flaps

Michael J Flaps
I've been interested in buying a DJ controller for a while now, but my preferred lossless format is FLAC, so most of my music would need converted to use even with high-end controllers. I am not spending £1,000+ on a controller that doesn't support such a popular format, but none of the reliable companies seem to have bothered!

To give an idea of the kind of kit I'm looking for, the Denon MCX8000 got me excited most recently, but again there's no standalone FLAC support. I guess it works through Serato, but I want freedom from my computer!

My question is: why don't they support FLAC? I'm talking Pioneer/Numark/Denon... all the good ones! FLAC is the ideal lossless format that obviously most DJs would use. WAV can't have tags, ALAC has to do with Apple, which a lot of people avoid as a matter of principle if nothing else, so if they support other inferior lossless formats, why not the best?

Anyone, release a decent four-channel DJ controller with full (inc. standalone) FLAC support and I will give you all my money! Come on!

Because lossless music doesn't sound any different to a 320 kbit/s mp3. In terms of b******t it's up there with directional audio cables.

Don't waste your money/effort

A wav is different from a 320kbps mp3, but a 320kbps mp3 still sounds good.
Soundcloud streams at 128kbps natively, which is decent.

a 128kbps aac is the same as a 160kbps mp3 in terms of compression quality.
a 320kbps aac is pretty much up there with ogg vorbis.

Lossless is a good idea because converting a lossless to another lossless is not good practice.

AFAIK latest Pioneers support FLAC.
as i noticed the most supported format is AIFF. (this will take you as much space as WAVE files)
is pretty easy to convert your library in this format and you can keep your TAGS / ID3.

i am using m4a apple lossless and i have same issue as you , most of controllers don't support it.
i heard rumors that latest pioneers will support it also, but let's see.

Back