Synthesizer vs MIDI Controller

imDCStar

I want to use it with DAWS like Pro Tools and Fl Studio.
The main reason is to learn piano and make kick-ass music.

Options i have:

MIDI:
Samson Graphite 49
Novation Launchkey 49

Synthesizer:
Yamaha PSR 38
Roland D10
Casio CT 655
Yamaha DX 27

Last edited:
You can correct wrong notes with the midi. Thats the big big plus to it. I say midi, because the information running it is more advanced. Midi knows what notes you're playing and records the notes individually so you can correct wrong notes by moving them in your DAW. With older synthesizers, you'll be running it as audio through an audio interface. The audio recording is final. You have to record exactly you want it to be (before mixing and mastering).

So, nowadays, ...I say midi. Although if you're very confident with playing on a synth, get the synth and record. Do you have an audio interface?

Last edited:
Learn the piano?
You need a piano for that. Or at least, something with proper weighed keys. Also, a foot pedal.

Synth or midi?

Do you want to be able to play on it without a DAW as well? Midi controllers, midi keyboards won't produce sound itself. They just parse a frequency and volume from 0 to 127 through. It needs to be hooked up to a DAW or another piece of gear that will turn it into actual sound.

Going to a synth is also a nice option. There are more options though. Think in the line of analogue vs digital gear. Stuff like a moog, modular synthesis. Awesome stuff. There's complete parties around with only a few modular synths on stage :D

You could ofcourse check into a synth with midi out. You can then hook the midi out to a midi in on your setup somewhere. AI or other midi controller for instance. But it all comes down to what you want to be doing with it.

If your not planning on using the keys without a DAW, ever, you can easily buy yourself a midi keyboard. Unless your totally fond of a particular sound coming out of a particular synth that you don't think you'll find in a DAW. Or, if your totally fond of a particular workflow with or on a synth.

Do you really want to learn to play piano? Or did you mean you want to learn to play keys? You can go midi piano (midi keyboard with proper weighed keys, they're pretty nice ones out there) or you can go with a full piano or electric stage piano if you want to be able to play em without a DAW.

I like the studiologic for weighed midi keyboard. Affordable and nice feel.

For midi keyboards, I like the native instruments komplete control. Novation impulse for fader and nobs key combi. Novation launchkey I like too. Roli seabord rise is intriguing. Akai mpk mini for small keyboard. I personally don't like m-audio's keybed feel. Best to try it out yourself in the store or with a webshop with proper return policy.
Stage piano: clavia nord, roland, yamaha, hammond, kurzweil, casio maybe,
Synths: yamaha, casio, korg,
the latter lists are less my cup of tea. I rather control my DAW with midi gear. Standalone is nice, but I rather go full instrument then. Like an actual piano. Still, I like going electronic and my DAW has it all so I just hook up gear to control the DAW.

You can correct wrong notes with the midi. Thats the big big plus to it. I say midi, because the information running it is more advanced. Midi knows what notes you're playing and records the notes individually so you can correct wrong notes by moving them in your DAW. With older synthesizers, you'll be running it as audio through an audio interface. The audio recording is final. You have to record exactly you want it to be (before mixing and mastering).

So, nowadays, ...I say midi. Although if you're very confident with playing on a synth, get the synth and record. Do you have an audio interface?

Yes I have Scarlett 2i2. Thanks. Any MIDI suggestions?

Learn the piano?
You need a piano for that. Or at least, something with proper weighed keys. Also, a foot pedal.

Synth or midi?

Do you want to be able to play on it without a DAW as well? Midi controllers, midi keyboards won't produce sound itself. They just parse a frequency and volume from 0 to 127 through. It needs to be hooked up to a DAW or another piece of gear that will turn it into actual sound.

Going to a synth is also a nice option. There are more options though. Think in the line of analogue vs digital gear. Stuff like a moog, modular synthesis. Awesome stuff. There's complete parties around with only a few modular synths on stage :D

You could ofcourse check into a synth with midi out. You can then hook the midi out to a midi in on your setup somewhere. AI or other midi controller for instance. But it all comes down to what you want to be doing with it.

If your not planning on using the keys without a DAW, ever, you can easily buy yourself a midi keyboard. Unless your totally fond of a particular sound coming out of a particular synth that you don't think you'll find in a DAW. Or, if your totally fond of a particular workflow with or on a synth.

Do you really want to learn to play piano? Or did you mean you want to learn to play keys? You can go midi piano (midi keyboard with proper weighed keys, they're pretty nice ones out there) or you can go with a full piano or electric stage piano if you want to be able to play em without a DAW.

For midi keyboards, I like the native instruments komplete control. Novation impulse for fader and nobs key combi. Novation launchkey I like too. Roli seabord rise is intriguing. Akai mpk mini for small keyboard. I personally don't like m-audio's keybed feel. Best to try it out yourself in the store or with a webshop with proper return policy.
the latter lists are less my cup of tea. I rather control my DAW with midi gear. Standalone is nice, but I rather go full instrument then. Like an actual piano. Still, I like going electronic and my DAW has it all so I just hook up gear to control the DAW.

Thanks for detailed info. I will plug with DAW only. I want to learn music theory properly and want to make or learn how to make good melodies on keyboard. I'm not performing live so no need of synthesizer with sound. I'll go with midi.

But which one? Komplete is very expensive here.

Not really, lol it all depends on you want to do as a producer. I have a separate controller with knobs for modulating frequencies. I would rather have that all on a one controller, but those tend to be smaller (only 2 or 3 octaves).

So if theres a midi keyboard that that has 32 keys AND pads, knobs, faders that's a good one. You can link the knobs to modulate the frequencies of the notes your playing, which is very critical in todays music. That's how you make the "sweeps", and builds while playing just on note (or chord).

Last edited:

Learn the piano?

Synth or midi?

Not really, lol it all depends on you want to do as a producer. I have a separate controller with knobs for modulating frequencies. I would rather have that all on a one controller, but those tend to be smaller (only 2 or 3 octaves).

So if theres a midi keyboard that that has 32 keys AND pads, knobs, faders that's a good one. You can link the knobs to modulate the frequencies of the notes your playing, which is very critical in todays music. That's how you make the "sweeps", and builds while playing just on note (or chord).

Got it. I see some MIDIs have something called aftertouch while others don't. And pressure sensitivity. Is that needed in production?

uhh, ya it's a nice addition. What are you main objectives in producing? Pressure sensitivity just give it a more human touch, ...it'll play softly for light touches and louder for strong touches w/ more pressure. If you making drum beats on the touch pads, it gives it more human feel because drums never sound the same volume.

Actually...aftertouch and pressure sensitivity are the same thing. It's sort of a further additional layer of control where you can press on the keys after hitting them and have them control yet another parameter, like adding vibrato after you're already holding down a chord. What Epsilon-144 was talking about is actually velocity sensitivity, which is more or less a standard issue thing on just about any keyboard. Aftertouch/pressure sensitivity is slightly rarer (but still pretty common these days).

Back