Synthesizer supporting direct USB to computer and versatile to recording softwares

Andre Nilsen

Hey!
I've never used a synthesizer before, but I've been recording music for the last 10 years now, that mostly metal. Now I'm looking for a synthesizer that can produce music ranging from summer house to background sounds used in bands like Muse etc. This synthesizer needs to support direct USB to the computer, so it works like a plug and play directly to the recording software. For example I'm using reaper to record, so I want a synth that when connected with an USB will work directly with the recording software reaper. Another criteria is that it has to have piano keys or pads.

I've been looking at the electribe, but from my understanding it seems that it only works with ableton live and it needs extra gear to be able to connect with a computer? Also I've checked out the Novation Ultranova, but I have no idea what needs to be bought to make that work with a computer and a recording software.

When recording I want to record each track (sound) sepparately, like when recording guitars, bass, drums etc. Is that possible?

Any help is appreciated!

There aren't a lot of synths that output audio through USB - the only ones I can think of are Access' Virus TI range & Elektron's Analog Four & Keys (with their free Overbridge plugin).

The "extra gear" you need to record everything else is an audio interface.

I have an Virus Ti and it does as you have requested but be warned, you're not thinking this right!

The Virus TI (the only instrument I know that does what you're after) is a 16 part instrument but you're lucky if you can get it to do more than 2 complex patches at the same time. It's also not as plug and play as they say, should you run into glitches in the audio due to your PC setup, you'll be needing some direct support from access. Due to this many use it like a standard synth/keyboard instead, ditching the direct usb audio stream. The Virus is more for people who want to get into sound design and really make some nice patches, with crazy modulation. it's expensive and that's what you're paying for.

What you might want to consider is using a midi keyboard and loading the synths as A VST or getting an audio interface, you'll need one any way, the sound on your pc will be rubbish. The audio interface will record a standard keyboard the same as it would mics, guitars etc.

A midi keyboard is essentially a dummy, no sounds with init, it just triggers what ever sounds you set up in the software. They work with any DAW. Many normal keyboards can be used as MIDI triggering devices too.

Last edited:
Hmm for some reason I read the OP that software was not preferred, but on a second look there's not much anything to indicate that. So - why not just go with plugins if that's the kind of ease you want?

Come to think of it, the Roland Gaia also has this...not a terribly interesting synth, but at least it's easy.

Back