Should I buy a keyboard with key sensitivity?

ezequiel.ezb

Hello people!

I'm gonna buy a keyboard, both for learning and to use as midi controller. I'm seriously inclined for a Casio CTK 2300, it's got lot of sounds, has a good design, can be used as USB controller and also got good learning features, definitely a great keyboard that I can also use to have fun.

Anyway, there's only one thing that is making me hesitate about it. It ain't got velocity sensitivity, and although a lot of people say it's something crucial, I want a personal opinion about it, should I spend a little bit more on a CTK 2400 (which is got pitch bend, modulation and sensitivity features), or it wouldn't make much difference.

I'm getting confused because I don't really care, since my main focus is to use it as midi controller for my EDM productions, and I'm short on budget, a ctk 2300 would fit perfectly, and if wasn't because I don't know how to play any instrument, I wouldn't even go for a normal keyboard, I would choose some cheap 51 keys controller, but I'm afraid of the lack of sensitivity being a problem for me when editing MIDI, forcing me to upgrade soon.

Anyway, any EDM (house, electro, etc) producer wanting to share his/her opinions? Thank you.

velocity sensitivity is make and break as far as I am concerned: you need to have the facility to get the changing texture of individual sounds whether sampled or synthesised that respond to velocity data

different keys have different weights and different actions. i have had a similar, full-size, stiff, unforgiving, flat, dead key action of a CTK 571, actually had lots of big and little casios...Ive also owned three Novation remotes.. I settled them after working with Alesis, from the Quadrasynth to the QY25.... awful. Then Yamaha (civilized, but detached, to me). Mostly I've now missed out, and hear that Korg is reliable. But you also have Samson and Ive seen Storch whip an m-audio 88 like nobody's business. Go with the brand, and the style that you like (synth, piano, etc. etc.)

Back