should i buy this broken juno 106?

dannykorrson

Hi guyz,

I've bought some second hand speakers and went to pick them up today, and this guy had a juno106 standing around.
He mentioned he intended to sell it because "some of the sounds didn't work" and he "thinks that it might be some sort of water damage" - he wanted 100 bucks for it.

I walked away and kept thinking about the fact that a new juno in good state is around 1200$
so i was wondering if I should buy it for a 100$?
I've heard good and bad stories about gyus who bought damaged synths for a good price and them fixed them (or didn't fix them).

From the outside the juno looked just fine, but when it really is water damage it could be impossible to fix the whole thing.
My father is an electrical engineer and could help me with the technical stuff, trickiest would be getting spare parts.

would you do it?

tl:dr some guy sells a broken juno106 for 100$ - yay or nay?

Go for it. If "some of the sounds don't work", then it sounds like it's still working to some extent, so it shouldn't be that hard for a knowledgeable synth tech to fix. The 106's voice chips are known to fail due age, and replacements are readily available (this may or may not be the reason, but might as well be as it's a common issue).

update:

I got it for 100$

went through the test mode, 4 of the 6 voice chips are bust. but, they haven't been replaced once in its 30+ year lifespan.
it looks very good from the outside, a little dusty from the inside.
ordered a kit of 6 new chips, will solder them in as soon as i get it and than i'll be good to go!

Last edited:
Back