Serious problem with keyboards

entrust

Hi. It's been some times since I used keyboard, but I've decided to grab one and here my problems begun.

Last keyboard M-Audio Oxygen worked without any issues.

This time I've decided to grab Launchkey. As soon as I've connected it, it froze my computer (connected it through USB cable), then it worked for an hour (used PS) and froze my computer again. Since then I wasn't able to turn my PC on. I left only motherboard and CPU in it, took all the parts and assembled new computer.
I've returned Launchkey and grabbed M-Audio Keystation and to my surprise I get similar issue on the new computer. It didn't freeze it and I was thinking everything might go fine, until I woke up today. Had troubles turning my PC on, then after I managed to move something I had like 5 BSOD, then I had huge troubles to even start the PC and now it seems to be stable (however I'm not sure if something is not gonna blow up - last PC lasted like 2 days after this whole mess happened)

Few things to consider:
1. Back in the day I had M-Audio Oxygen - 0 issues, but I had different GPU back then and it's the only thing that I've changed since then
2. 2 different keyboards, new PC with different motherboard and same issues
3. Everything I've learned so far leans me to think it has something to do with power. USB might not be giving this much power, maybe new GPU drains more power than the last one (not an expert on this one), PC won't startup or has troubles to start up.
4. The keyboards worked fine as long as my PC worked.

I wanted to make some music in my spare time and I thought that working on a computer would be stress free (maybe that's because I started on Reason and it never gave my any issues), but here I am having huge problems with simple MIDI controllers. In fact I'm scared to even hook them up. It's probably the last thing I would expect, but well it happens. Hope somebody is able to help.

Last edited:
what kind of computer do you have where a midi device destroys it lolololololol.
I started out on Fl studio then switched to Reason/Studio One later during this hobbytime of mine.

An average 430W power supply would be at 25% load doing some intensive tasks and 70-90% on extremely tasking tasks.
So...not even sure how to replicate that problem.

Some gpus are so power hungry a 600W would be minimum requirements despite load not going past 80% for stability reasons perhaps

Yea, kinda funny isn't it? Even though it's kinda shitty scenario for me, it blows my mind how it's possible to happen LOL

Now I think the issue is much more closer to PC hardware than to music. While I wasn't able to locate anybody with similar issues, I was able to find people with USB power problems. Now my GPU must be connected to it, because the first thing that happened upon connecting Launchkey was my screen turning red, as if you put 255 red color on your monitor settings and while a single USB slot should have 500 mA power from my understanding, it probably doesn't or at least I wouldn't risk connecting 500 mA device to each and every slot.
I had 3 devices that took less power combined than one of them which was Logitech Camera (used 500mA, the rest 300mA+keyboard which doesn't show) so my idea was to free more than half of my USB power, by disconnecting it. So far everything is working and tomorrow is gonna be the last day that I try to replicate the problem, so if it passes I'm most likely good to go. I just used common sense and it seems to work, but I've encountered so many stuff like voltages etc. that I'm gonna post it on some computer focused forum, so people can help me iron out these issues. While GPU and USB doesn't seem to be connected in any way, there is certainly some interference. A thing I'm gonna consider since I plan to switch few parts in my rig.

My GPU is MSI Nvidia gtx 960 and PSU is some Antec 650W (the next one I grab is gonna be probably 800W just for safety measures)
Thanks for help

Back