MPC vs MPD?

alexamiles

Been looking into getting a new pad controller. More speficially i am trying to decide between the mpc studio or the mpd226. As far as I can tell the only difference is that the mpc has the banks and presets inside it and can function as a standalone, and also has the full fledged mpc software, while the mpd is just an assignable midi pad controller with a stripped down version of the software. I am more inclined to get the mpd because its 200 bucks cheaper, but I like how the mpc comes with a huge soundbank and can function as a plugin in a daw (i intend to use both in logic x). Considering I intend to use it mostly with logic should I just go with the mpd and used the saved money for third party sound banks/plugins? The mpc software seems bery intuitive, Is the mpd as easy to map in logic x without being able to use it as a plugin? Right now i use ultrabeat to map to my pad controller and its messy and tedious. All suggestions/insight greatly appreciated

Not gonna say which one is better - because I haven't used the current crop of software-only MPCs. But none of them are standalone (the software works on its own, afaik, but you can't use them without a computer); all the sounds & sequencing reside within the MPC software. Not sure what the limitations of the MPC Essentials software are that come with the MPDs, but from the looks of it, it's gonna make the gap a lot smaller. That said, the main pull of the "real" MPCs is that even though you're really using software with a fancy controller, you don't have to look at the computer's screen very often.

Not gonna say which one is better - because I haven't used the current crop of software-only MPCs. But none of them are standalone (the software works on its own, afaik, but you can't use them without a computer); all the sounds & sequencing reside within the MPC software. Not sure what the limitations of the MPC Essentials software are that come with the MPDs, but from the looks of it, it's gonna make the gap a lot smaller. That said, the main pull of the "real" MPCs is that even though you're really using software with a fancy controller, you don't have to look at the computer's screen very often.
None of the MPCs are standalone?

The MPC Studios is not stand alone that is correct but I work on the MPC Renaissance which the basically the bigger version of the MPC Studio and I LOVE it. I've only worked on one MPD and it was only once so I can't comment on it but I highly recommend the MPC Studios.

Even though it is just a controller at the end of the day I love it so much because it combines the hardware and software so well together.

i'll go with mpd all the way , just search on google for program to map your mpd !!! the mpc is a lot of headache, you'll have to load sound etc once the library doesn't get you satisfied anymore!!!

Back