Motif as a MPC alternative...

40Beatz

I got a Motif running into my AW2816 16-track workstation. Basically, this is an argument between me and my man! I think that you don't really need a MPC to make decent HipHop! We've been arguing about the MPC being the only piece of equipment you need, forever. I think I make better beats with my little QY70 XG seqencer connected to my cheap su200 Yamaha sampler, than somebody on a MPC. But that's my opinion!
No disrespect to ya'll MPC users, but with my MO' , I bang out fire!!!!

MOTIF AND MPCs are maybe the most popular instruments here for hip hop, but that's the only thing they share...

I make something similar to trance, and I use the MOTIF a lot. GREAT guitars, great wind sounds, the classic basses and the arpeggio functions are cool. I use the pattern sequencer of the MOTIF for controlling a SP 808 sampler, so I activate the sample pads with notes recorded on track one of the patterns. the Motif can fit in any kind of music.

The MOTIF is a great workstation, I think U can be more expressive with a keyboard than a MPC. I don't know too much about MPCs, but I know they are one of the best products of the market for samplin' fans.

i dont have a motif but i have a triton.

If i had to pick between the two (mpc or triton) the machine that makes my hiphop tracks sound better is definately the mpc. If it wasnt for me getting my drums exactly how i like them, my instrumentals would be lifeless.

On the other hand, a keyboard has total freedom sound wise. you wont be stuck with samples and no synthesis.

Wow, you really use a qy70 for doing your beats? i bought one a while ago, but i never got the hang of it how to program it properly...It always seemed to be a pain in the ass to me.

Maximum respect for being able to program that strange little box, but i really think i can work a lot of faster with my MPC.

I've been using the Motif for hip-hop, for almost 2 years now. I'm about to get the MPC1000 soon. The quality of a beat always comes down to who makes it, and how well they know the gear they use.

Hell yeah...

Hey Needle201..
The QY was the first piece of equipment I ever bought! Back when I was just messin around makin beats in my bedroom. The only thing bad about the little guy, is that the keys are too small, no backlight on the LCD. But thats because its designed for travelling with it and sketching songs on the fly. Overall, That is a powerful starter piece....

I guess when I blow up, I'll be a Yamaha spokesperson or something....

40Beatz Inc.

Quick question for the Motif user...

I just got a motif and I'm tryna update my OS to v1.7

I bought a smart media card at an electronics store so how do i download the new OS onto a keyboard via computer?

Thanks.

Use midi. The sysex update can be dumped to the motif using the midi out from the pc to the midi in on the keyboard.
Load the midi file into your sequencer and hit play. Make sure the keyboard has midi sysex receive to 'on'. And make sure there are no other midi devices in the chain otherwise it will send the sysex data to all the midi devices, unless you turn them all off. Usually we just take one midi out/in to the keyboard so nothing gets corrupted on the way. You can then save the new os onto the card.

O.S 1.7 for the MO'

Hey spitiqulous...

First you're gonna have to get a SmartMedia Card Reader from your nearest computer electronics store! Hopefully, you got a computer, too?
Then, go to Motifator.com

http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframe.htm

Then download the O.S. 1.7 onto your S.M. Card thru your computer.

Boom!!!!

Now upload it onto your MO'

Hope that helps!

40Beatz Inc.

I may be a little late on this thread but late is better than never. The people that go on and on about how the mpc makes drums better can cry me a river. They have software and plugins that allow you to manipulate and layer drum samples. When you have them sounding just the way you like load them on to the mo' or triton and you don't need the box. I will admit though I do like the pads, and that's when the mpd 16 comes in if you want one. I chose not to get one waste of money for me when I can use the mo's sequencer or an external sequencing program to do my drum patterns. On top of that you get keys to play and banks full of sounds. Buying an mpc is the first step after that you need to buy sounds and sample sounds. It seems like a waste to me, but if you want to control stage lighting it is excellent. I just think that I could buy another rack or equipment for the money I would spend on an mpc. My opinion you don't have to like it.

Last edited:
For sonic qualities , there are a number of samplers that have a better sound reinforcement architecture like the Yamaha A3/4000 or the Kurzweills(top class). The mpc is a beat box sampler and it's the pads and quantise facilities that give it that urban edge. The mpc3000, however, works off an analogue board, thus the expense and non expandability and truly has a sound of it's own.

Wow!!!! Almost 14Yrs ago I started this Thread. Lets see if I still think the same....Kinda. However I haven't "Blown UP" yet lol. But I still Bang beats out. Ironically I have like 3 different MPC's. But mainly craft on the Computer. Anyways...just wanted to bump this thread! Shout out Future Producers!!!

Back