Midi keyboard - Choosing one

MusicManiac

Hey

Probably these kind of questions are asked frequently and i am another one guy asking for advice , so hope i wont be a pain in the ass :P

I have no clue about midi keyboards, but i have done research about them in order to know what to ask and seek advice from you guys .

1. My budget 150 euros
  2. I think i will go with the 49 keys - because i dont want to play live so i think its the most reasonable . ( if i am wrong about that please correct me )
  3. Cant really understand what i like synth-action, semi-weighted, full-weighted or equipped with aftertouch keys , how should i pick them? what use each one has?
  4. I dont want to be portable
  5. I dont really get why have pads , when you can simply play the drums through the midi keybord - and pitch them . If i am wrong please correct me + when have more features then it isnt just a midi keyboard . More functions - More problems ?
  6. I dont know what special features should the hardware have - can you direct me ? ( purpose of existance of each )
  7. Some kind of vsti would be handy to be provided . Daw not so much .
  8. I dont discriminate about brands , as long as the job is done

I know its kinda annoying to answer all this , but if you do thank you in advance :cheers:

Thank you !! :hello:

p.s. by the way thank you bandcoach cause you always answer my questions !!

also I walk with the same question I'm torn between

Alesis V61

M-Audio Oxygen 61 mk4

Nektar Impact LX61

from what I read I think the alesis be the best choice at the level of keys, but also accept opinions and I will follow your topic.

Hi MM,

I don't think you should go out and buy something which is inexpensive and is going to feel plasticly. But if you must go that route I would recommend you to spend a little bit more and you will have more options. Like the Akai Advance or an M-Audio Code.

AKAI-Advance-49.png

If you want to check out more you can read this article: http://getinstrumental.com/best-midi-keyboard-controllers/

I Hope this helps. Let me know

1. Cant really understand what i like synth-action, semi-weighted, full-weighted or equipped with aftertouch keys , how should i pick them? what use each one has?
The difference in those first 3 is how the keys feel when you play them. Synth-action keys are easy to play and springy while weighted keys should replicate how keys on a real piano feel like. You know how a piano has those hammers behind the keys, well a fully weighted keyboard should feel like it has those hammers inside
But on a spring action keyboard you have springs underneath the keys, and that's what it feels like.

I don't think you have much of a choice here anyway, because I doubt you can find a proper piano-like keyboard at 150 euros.

After touch is a feature that makes the keys sensitive to pressure, so you can change the sound while holding down a key by pressing harder or lighter

Last edited:
Synth action is the most responsive and weighted keys are the slowest to respond because of their weight and resistance. However some piano players prefer weighted because it feels like playing a piano. But if you don't play piano or need piano-like resistance, then go with synth action which is cheaper.

Back