MIDI Contoller...What Are They Good For? Is This a Good Choice?

titalwaves

Since tax season has arrived, I have decided to purchase some more equipment for my "studio set-up".
In addition to buying Monitor Stands & new Headphones, I am also interested in purchasing a MIDI Controller.

My question is:
What is a MIDI Controller used for exactly? I know that it plays a key-role in making beats/instrumentals...That's a given.
But what I wanted to know is...Is it helpful w/ mixing vocals? Not trying to come-off ignorant BUT I am new to this home studio stuff.

Right now I am rocking a Interface, Studio Monitors, a Condenser Mic & a Laptop...Laying vocals down using Pro Tools Express.
My "set-up" is the basic essentials that you need to get into recording at home...Nothing more or less.

Help a Newbie out by explaining why or why I shouldn't purchase a MIDI Controller...By the way I had my eyes on the AKAI Mini MPK 2.
Akai Professional MPK Mini Mk2 | Sweetwater.com
Not only does it have a clean look to it, it is also easy on the pockets AND it is made by AKAI, which is a heavy-weight in the music creation industry.

Either or...Let me know something.
Thanks!

The smaller keys make it harder to play and learn if your new to playing keys.
A midi keyboard is used to play chords and lay down leads and such. If you're only doing vocals, no drums, keyboards, pianos, any other musical addition , there's no need for a midi controller for you.
If you'd like to add other musical components like a piano, drums, synth, etc. to your vocals, a midi controller would be good.
The keyboard you linked is a nice keyboard if you want to be on the road a lot.
I have an impulse 25 for that, with a bag that fits all of the components that I want to use on the road, but it's still a pretty big bag. It's the max size limit for cabin luggage on an airplane.
If being on the road is not something you want to use that keyboard for, I'd look for a 49 key keyboard with proper sized keys. That is, if you want to do other stuff then only record vocals.

If you're looking for something to buy for recording vocals, do you have a reflection screen? 1820926-b.jpg
They come priced going from 50 bucks to more expensive.
Do you have a proper mic?
Do you have proper monitors?
Does your A/I have a proper pre amp? Otherwise you could buy a pre amp.
I'd say the refection screen is gonna add most to your recorded vocals atm that falls in the same price range as the keyboard.
Better A/I, monitors, pre amp is most likely gonna cost you more.

Thanks for dropping the brief knowledge on me about MIDI-Keyboards.
I will definitely pass on buying one now...I am a rapper; not a "beatmaker".

I am interested in buying a reflection screen though.
Do you have a good brand in mind that is around the $100 mark?

I actually had my eyes on this one:
AE-F reflection filter

Like I said above though...I am new to purchasing home-studio equipment so I tend to ask questions.
I am planning to buy a set of Studio Monitor Stand.

Basically what I am planning to do is release demo-quality mixtapes/ street albums.
I know that I won't be able to get the sound of a professionally treated room BUT I do know that it is possible to get a "decent" sound on a budget.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back