m-audio keystation 61es Lead paint???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tww47

It's towards the end of the year and I'm about to sell my textbooks and pick up a midi keyboard but recently I read three reviews on amazon all from customers worrying about the lead paint apparently used on the M-audio 61es. I was planning on purchasing this soon but after hearing this I think I'm having second doubts. Is it really that much of a hazard? One consumer wrote "The instructions have a big sticker on them, stating that this keyboard is made of materials known to cause cancer and/or birth defects (including lead) and to "wash your hands after handling". How on earth did this manufacturer decide to use such materials with a device that is intended to be handled a lot, very possibly by children?"

Maybe I'm just being superstitious but I can't say I want cancer or any harm from the lead paint... can anyone sway me so that I can go ahead and by this keyboard haha! Thanks.

Is it really that much of a hazard?

I very much doubt this - yes, it's a known health hazard...but unless you like to lick your keyboards or stick your fingers into your mouth after stroking the paint surface, the associated "dangers" are pretty minimal.

Now for the "Product contains lead and chemicals causing cancer and birth defects" issue. I will post two responses that I received from M-Audio yesterday after I sent them a single email that clearly and strongly questioned every aspect of this "Warning". In my email I wanted to know where the lead was used and if it could harm my family and me. My primary concern was that they had used lead in the silver paint or anywhere on the exterior of the keyboard. Here are the two responses from my single email:

"Al,

This warning label is now required on all electronics devices that contain lead. The keyboard contains lead soldering on the circuit board, which is something you will never come in contact with under normal use. If you ever take the unit apart, which we don't recommend, you'll just want to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards. This will remove any trace of lead that may have rubbed of on you. We understand the concern that such a label would cause, but we can assure you that you are not in any danger while using this product as intended.

Best Regards,

Name withheld for privacy. Here is the second response from another M-Audio employee:

Hi Al,

Just to chime in here...

The warning posted in our 49e Keystudio manual is also found in the manuals for all of our other electronic products. We are located in California, where we are required by state law to use this warning on any product containing even minute, trace amounts of lead (et al). The warning is State of California boilerplate.

Since the RoHS act (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive) was passed in the European Union, our products are safer than ever. We have updated the components and materials in all of our current products to comply with the standards set forth therein. [...]

Also, don't hesitate to contact us with any further questions you may have regarding this matter.

I am a resident of California and can confirm what M-Audio is telling you in their email replies in regards to the laws here. They put that warning ON EVERYTHING, including the front door of ALMOST EVERY BUILDING in the entire state... its like some kind of C.Y.A. for the govt, so that no one ever sues them for allowing certain materials to be used in Buildings or in Products made in California. Those people on Amazon are Way Over-Reacting, big time.. if they worried about those Cali warnings, they would never be able to enter any building in this state, including the DMV, the Civil Courts, the library, or virtually any building in California. They would be too scared to go anywhere here. Enjoy your Keystation 61es. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back