M-Audio Axiom 49 or Akai MPK 49

I mean like if they come out with a 2nd gen model of the MPK like they did with the Axiom. 49 key is good enough for me, but 61 key would be nice. :/

And you chose to keep it? I would have sent it back immediately.

Musicians Friend was no help when I told them what had happened. I got fkd because I had a 30 day return and it took 24 days to get ship from Kansas to Qatar via military postal service. :-(

No you don't. Ive done it. If you do not use the power adapter you can only control the midi i/o from a daw. It turns the mpk in a midi interface

Strange.... I never got it to work using just the MIDI ports. I always had to use a power supply with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and responses! I wound up ordering the MPK49. Now I'm just hoping they don't announce a new model or 2nd gen anytime soon! lol

I got the Novation slmk2 on the post, 3 days ago, I didnt expekt it to be such super qulity..really happy right now...

Thats an awesome midicontroller, just wanted u to know that...but I guess u have ordered teh Akai already:) Hope Akai is good looking forward for an little review also from u Timey...on the Akai_:)

mpk49 def i have played both and i like the mpk49 better but thats just my opinion honestly between these two controllers its pretty much based on personal prefrence

I was in the same position you are a few month ago I went for the mpk49 and I can say that I'm very pleased with it It's really great. People talk about the pad not being sensitive enough, well for me they are great just go to setting and increase the pad sensitive, after that I just applied a lil pression not to much on the pads so they get a lil bit more soft. Now I get a great felling from the pads pretty cool. And even if you can get them to become soft you can play them hard because they won't broke that easily.

The only real problems that I had with it is connecting to some Software (cubase, reason and ableton those are the ones that I used). But I solved the problem that I was getting by mapping it my self in stead of using the presets.

About the JUKE179r issue well keys are supposed to be played pressing down not up.

My opinion is that you should go for the akai mpk49, but doesn't matter which one you choose you should read the manual, it usualy helps to get over some problems that you find.

If you chosse the mpk49 and need some help, pm and I will help you

There are a ton of mpk49 tutorials on you tube. The mpks are great. I have the mpk61 and it is close to replacing my mpc. I love it. Just watch a tutorial on setting it up with your daw. You should be good after that.

You found your mpk's manual useful? I didn't lol

Yeah in some stuff it helps, like modifying the settings. Sure it will not help you configuring it to work with your DAW, maybe in some lil things but not in every thing usually is the DAW that as to be configured and you should read the DAW manual.

But it doesn't matter what type of equipment you buy you should always read the manual at least put your eyes on it, because I have read a lot of stupid question that normally the manual will answer. People are just to lazy.

Last edited:
The akai is great i have it, but the novation sl mk2 is the way to go.

for raw controlling the akai, automap isnt all its hyped up to be.

True... but... anything you purchase new shouldn't be broken straight out the box. :cry: Sadly enough, it's a known issue about the MPK49's. Of course AKAI denies this.

funny that you mention this because i too ordered the mpk 49 new once and it was damaged so i took it back to guitar center and made them ship me a new one

I was just in sam ash and felt both keys. The keys are very close. I could not tell a big difference. One thing I can say is the axiom pro is made for pro tools more than any other daw

if you wanna get an axiom 49 you can find them used for as low as 100 - 150.

the mpk 49 you can get for as low as 200 - 250

just something too consider, your paying a bit more for more features on the mpk 49.

Lots of good information in this thread.

I've used a couple of MIDI controllers since 2005, and I find that generally, build quality is pretty poor. The biggest problem for me has always been the pots and the mod/pitch wheels, rather than the keys.. This is the case with my X-Station, with numerous knobs failing and the tacky pitch/mod joystick becoming practically useless as it gets less and less accurate.

Now, I can get the Axiom 61 V2 (not Pro) for about €100 less than the MPK61, so I'm basically wondering if the MPK is worth the premium when considering the build quality. I'm not that concerned about the plastic construction of the Axiom, since I'll only use it in my bedroom studio anyway. Plastic is fine unless you really abuse it. Something else will surely break long before the outer casing.

Far more important to me is the quality of the pots (knobs and sliders), and especially the pitch and modulation wheels. You think those of the MPK would last longer? If not, I might as well save €100 and go with the Axiom. It seems fine for my needs provided it lasts for at least 2 years (preferably longer) of normal use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back