Korg Triton Vs Korg Karma

Xabiton

Cupcake God
What are the if any major differences between the 2? Just curious from anyone who has owned one. For me atleast it seems that the Karma is more of a synth and a composers instrument vs a keyboard/synth/sample style workstation like the triton is that true? Thoughts?

i never worked with the karma but i believe the extreme is more a composer instrument then the triton studio.

both tritons are about the same tho the triton extreme has the tube amp, the touch screen and a few more sounds than the studio plus no burner thats the only difference ive seen

studio has touch screen too. studio i BELIVE dont quite me has more expantion slots.

here's the deal: all the Tritons share the same synth engine (called HI, Hyper Integrated), but they come with more or less bells and whistles. They all basically sound the same (except the budget ones like LE and TR because they have only 3 instead of 5 insert effects and 1 instead of 2 Master effects.)

Compared to Karma, the Triton Studio has Spdif Digital Out, 6Gb internal Hard Drive, CD Burner slot, and Adat expansion, Sampling mode and LCD Touch Screen.

if you were referring to the original Triton, it only has Sampling and LCD Touch Screen.

On the other hand, the Karma has a more complex arpeggiator (called GE) that can do all sorts of crazy patterns which can be altered in real time.

The Extreme which is the last of the line (not counting the TR,
X-50 or microX which again are spinoff of the Triton, OMFG!) has a selection of samples of all the Expansion boards with only room for MOSS, plus it has valve distortion and USB.

If you want my opinion the Extreme is the wisest choice with best PriceToValue ratio.

Xabiton said:
...For me at least it seems that the Karma is more of a synth and a composers instrument vs a keyboard/synth/sample style workstation like the triton is that true? Thoughts?

I don't think so.. they're almost twins.
you can get the Karma arpeggiator as a software (connected via midi to any other Triton)
However the small LCD on the Karma is limiting and somewhat irritating (for me at least).

peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Triton is more all-in-one box with sampling etc. Soundwise they are same. I have played Korg Triton, Triton Extreme and own Karma. With Extreme you have more sounds and that nasty tube think (nice but not my thing). Long time I was thinking between basic Triton and Karma and I ended to last one Triton Extreme is very nice synth and I would agree with Bluedays to go for it if you have money and need all that. For me Karma was the best option. Just to get sound of Triton, place for MOSS-board and Karma function inside the machine. Btw. Keyboard is not as good as Triton's what I have tried...

does the karma have sample capabilities? i dont think it does but im not sure ive never had time on it

nope, like I said, original Triton has sampling and LCD, Karma doesn't have either

The karma was my choice and i dig it as a board. I just wanted the triton sound's and sequencer, but didnt really need the sampler or touchscreen. Compared to the original Triton classic, those are about the only differences minus a few connections on the back.

phungdao said:
karma has more FX THAN the tr61.. i dont know bout extreme, that is what i think since playin wit tr61 and owning a karma.. =p

When you say the Karma has more effects, do you mean it has more insert slots?? so you can use more at a time, or do you mean you have more to choose from??

And.... Triton Classic.... that's 32 note Poly correct?? Karma....... 64 note, and Extreme 120?? Right??

I understand we're talking about sound.... all using the HI....... but the poly, plus the # of effects, and how they're used will affect the sound... right??

thunderkyss said:
When you say the Karma has more effects, do you mean it has more insert slots?? so you can use more at a time, or do you mean you have more to choose from??

And.... Triton Classic.... that's 32 note Poly correct?? Karma....... 64 note, and Extreme 120?? Right??

I understand we're talking about sound.... all using the HI....... but the poly, plus the # of effects, and how they're used will affect the sound... right??

The Karma has more inset effects that can be used than the Triton TR which to me seems like just a Triton LE with a few things added on and a different color.

youngjboy said:
The Karma has more inset effects that can be used than the Triton TR which to me seems like just a Triton LE with a few things added on and a different color.
if ur gonna spend that sort of money why not get the exxtreme or the studio

Xabiton said:
if ur gonna spend that sort of money why not get the exxtreme or the studio

Personally, if i was in the market for one, the Triton Extreme would be the best bang for buck because you get more sounds and some of the expansions already pre loaded from the factory

Xabiton said:
i like the studio better from what ive played with

I have played on both and to me the extreme is better bang for buck because of the extras. Soundwise, and sequencer wise, they are the same

Back