JP-8000 powers on but frozen

bussy233

JP-8000 (1998 synth). turns on, lights up, but the screen is all solid light up pixels and nothing happens.

Before I bring it to a tech, what are some things maybe could fix it, like battery replacement? I've opened and done a few small synth repairs on random synths so I think I can pull this off if anyone has an idea? thanks.

bump. It's still just sitting there broke. I can't access anything such as a factory reset someone suggested. Someone suggested Check all the power supply voltages. It may be that the +5V to the CPU is not working.
With a multimeter? Should I post pictures of the insides and then you tell me what to do? ty

"I've fixed a Korg Mono/poly and two different guitar amps simply by opening them up and unplugging/replugging all the cables. Scratches the oxide off the contacts."
I'll try this ^. Factory reset doesn't work, I tried even though the display only ever shows solid pixels. I called the tech, he said try factory reset. He fixed other stuff wrong with it about a year before this problem happened, cost me almost as much as a nice used JP8K. I might have to sell this as-is. Shame this synth is such a classic but not worth fixing, I'd be better off probably selling as-is and then waiting for a good price for a used one. I might just have to sample the heck out of it and sell it before it craps out, and stick with newer more reliable hardware.

Last edited:
Did this happen after moving it around or was it sitting where it always does and just didn't boot up like it usually does? If it happened after a move I would check to make sure any chips are seated properly then check the cables the battery and then look for bulging or leaking capacitors.

Back