How to get Note Repeat with Akai MPD32 working?

504musicman

What up peeps, i just got a AKAI MPD today but i can't get it to slave with Reason 4.0

My Goal is to be able to use the Tempo synced features on MPD like Note Repeat so it will repeat at my Reason tempo.

Man i have been messing with this for a few hours check google on here with search and don't see any info on how to sync.

Yes i have read the manual it only says set Global To External on the MPD 32 (which i have done) and to setup Reason to send midi clock in preferences.

I only can hear note repeat working on internal mode on the MPD 32, External nothing plays

Any insight will be great help, and if you would be cool enough to explain in details it will be even more appreciated.

In the meanwhile i will keep fidddling with settings maybe i stumble on it

504musicman said:
What up peeps, i just got a AKAI MPD today but i can't get it to slave with Reason 4.0

My Goal is to be able to use the Tempo synced features on MPD like Note Repeat so it will repeat at my Reason tempo.

Man i have been messing with this for a few hours check google on here with search and don't see any info on how to sync.

Yes i have read the manual it only says set Global To External on the MPD 32 (which i have done) and to setup Reason to send midi clock in preferences.

I only can hear note repeat working on internal mode on the MPD 32, External nothing plays

Any insight will be great help, and if you would be cool enough to explain in details it will be even more appreciated.

Set your mpd to internal. Set Reason to send Midi. Has reason found your mpd 32? IF not select ..edit, preferences then keyboards and control surfaces then click auto detect surfaces also click options then click sync then select send midi,
to mpd 32
Go to edit then preferences then auto detect then keyboards and control surfaces then click on your mpd 32 If you know for sure reason has found it by scanning. anyways click on the mpd then have it find the port its on then select that port for the in and out ports..

504musicman said:

Set your mpd to internal. Set Reason to send Midi. Has reason found your mpd 32? IF not select ..edit, preferences then keyboards and control surfaces then click auto detect surfaces also click options then click sync then select send midi,
to mpd 32
Go to edit then preferences then auto detect then keyboards and control surfaces then click on your mpd 32 If you know for sure reason has found it by scanning. anyways click on the mpd then have it find the port its on then select that port for the in and out ports..

Also check your latency in Reason you might have to lower depending on how late your notes are hitting u will have to test a hi hat roll out matching the metrinome. Also on the mpd lower the Gate!!!

Last edited:
Reason has detected the MPD everything is working except Note Repeat
In the Akai manual it says to sync your beats with the MPD put it on External and its not working on External only Internal

I have no latency or driver issues everything is working except note repeat

Anyone know how to SLAVE the MPD and have Reason send Midi Clock?

I tried all the settings but nothing works. bummer

I had the same problem... I called akai and they said that this was one of the restrictions that they had with Reason and the Mpd.. So i'm guessing that your tap tempo isn't working to? I just try to match the tempo on Reason to the light on the Mpd, its worked out fine but i still wish i could use the tap tempo.

mine works, I just had to set the mpd to internal. reason send midi. I've heard when u have this problem its your midi data not being sent properly.

Read this it helped me out.

I posted this in the software forum also, but it should be helpful in this forum too. I do not have a windows machine to mess with so I can only tell you what has worked for me on my Mac running OSX 10.5.4.

Using the auto-detect control surfaces feature without upgrading to Reason 4.01 and have it actually work.

FIRST INSTALL YOUR MAP AND REMOTE FILES (this method is tested and works)
to install the map and remote files.
download the newest files from the akai website in support section labeled reason remote files and do the following

From the downloaded folder, place the remote files and the map file in following file on your mac:
HD/users/YOUR USER NAME/library/application support/propellerhead software/Remote
The files to place in the remote file will be the following 4 files:
AkaiMPK49_402.remotemap
AkaiMPK49_406.lua
AkaiMPK49_406.luacodec
MPK49_reason.png

You do not need to create any folders, just place those files in the remote folder. All i have had to do is some small editing to customize it how i like it.

In order to use the auto-detect control surfaces feature in reason 4.0 (and have it actually find the mpk49 without using a generic setup)
1: go macupdates.com download the reason 4.01 update demo.
2: rename your old reason.app file to something like reason.old and drag the new reason demo file (just the app file itself not the sound bank and orkester bank) to the reason folder in your applications folder.
3: once you have done that, start it up the 4.01 demo, close it down then delete it.
4: now rename your reason.old back to just reason and start it up.
5: go to preferences > Keyboards and Control Surfaces > and click find. It will auto-detect your mpk.

this worked for me. i found this out just playing around with it.

***UPDATE****MIDI CLOCK SYNC TO REASON
If you are currently trying to sync reason as a master midi clock to send tempo to your mpk49 IT WILL NOT WORK.

The following text is straight from the reason 4 manual.

Reason always acts as a slave. That is, it receives MIDI Clock signals, it
never transmits them.

What is Synchronization and MIDI Clock?
Synchronization, in this context, is when you make Reason play at the same tempo as
another device; where both start, stop and can locate to certain positions, together.
This is done by transmitting MIDI Clock signals between Reason and the other de-
vice. MIDI Clock is a very fast “metronome” that can be transmitted in a MIDI cable. As
part of the MIDI Clock concept there are also instructions for Start, Stop and locating
to sixteenth note positions.
You can set up synchronization between Reason and hardware devices (tape record-
ers, drum machines, stand alone sequencers, workstations etc.) and other computer
programs running on the same or another computer.

Master/Slave
In a synchronized system there is always one master and one or more slaves. In our
case, the master is the one that controls the tempo. In other words, it is only the
tempo setting on the master device that is of any relevance, since the slaves slavishly
follow the master's tempo.

Slaving Reason to an External Device
This example assumes that you have an external device, such as a drum machine,
hardware sequencer, another computer, tape recorder etc., that transmits MIDI Clock
signals to which you want to synchronize Reason.
1. Connect a the device via USB/MIDI to the computer running Reason.
2. Set up the other device so that it transmits MIDI Clock signals to the MIDI
Out you just connected to the computer running Reason.
3. In Reason, pull down the Edit menu (under Mac OS X, the Reason menu) and
open the Preferences dialog. Select the Advanced MIDI page.
4. Pull down the MIDI Clock Sync pop-up and select the MIDI Input to which you
connected the other device.
5. Close the dialog.
6. Activate MIDI Clock Sync from the Options menu in Reason.
This can also be set on the Transport panel.
7. Activate playback on the other device.
Reason will start playing ‘in sync’ with it and the Sync LED on the Transport will
light up.

IM USING:
Reason 4.0 (build 905)
Akai MPK Firmware Ver. 1.03

Reason doesn't SEND midi. Reason can only be a midi clock slave, it will not send a midi out signal of any kind. thats why you can use Reason to sequence other gear/software. you have to use a rewire host or an external sequencer (or anything that actually SENDS a midi clock signal) if you want to get the mpd and Reason on the same clock.
LevLove

I troubleshot the issue with akai and they said it was weird we couldn't get things to work with Reason or Cubase. I will be updating my Reason & Cubase and see what happens

Thanx guys for explaining & helping
Reason not sending Midi which was new info for me

Thanx Romil & Lev for explaining in detail and clarifying Reason doesn't send midi data

Thanx Romil & Lev for explaining in detail and clarifying Reason doesn't send midi data

Last edited by a moderator:
Same Problem Here

After reading the thread, I still didn't quite get how to have MPD 32 sync with reason (4.0) and have the transport and tap tempo controls working properly. After fiddling around with it, these are the steps that worked for me (in reason- haven't tried any other programs yet):

In Reason:
-Go to 'Preferences' --> 'Advanced Control'--> 'Midi Clock Sync'
drop down menu --> Akai MPD 32
-Go to 'Options' --> 'Sync' --> 'Midi Clock'
-Right Click Record Button in transport panel --> 'Edit Remote
Override Mapping' --> Choose Akai MPD 32 for 'Control Surface'
Choose CC 119 for 'Control'

In MPD:
-Choose 'Reason' Preset --> Press 'Edit' --> Press one of the transport buttons so that 'transport' appears in window --> Press Enter --> Turn
Knob and select 'Midi' --> Press Enter --> Press Preset

**To Use Tap Tempo:
-Press 'Edit' --> Press 'Tap Tempo Button' Once So that 'Tempo'
Appears in window --> Press 'Enter' so that a tempo value shows in
window --> Then tap the tempo button according to the beat you
want!

Hope that works for someone...

ROMIL said:
I know this isnt common but why isnt my control paste or control copy working

Had the same issue with copying/pasting while reason is slaved to mpd 32.

I was able to right click and copy, but I wasn't able to paste it where I wanted unless I used the mpd transport buttons to move the locator to the right spot.

So, the workaround for me (for now) is to switch from 'Midi clock' back to 'internal' (in Reason under options --> sync) to copy and paste more easily and acurately and then switch back when ready to record again. A slightly annoying extra step, but it seems to be a bit more accurate for me.

Last edited:
GoldMind23 said:
After reading the thread, I still didn't quite get how to have MPD 32 sync with reason (4.0) and have the transport and tap tempo controls working properly. After fiddling around with it, these are the steps that worked for me (in reason- haven't tried any other programs yet):

In Reason:
-Go to 'Preferences' --> 'Advanced Control'--> 'Midi Clock Sync'
drop down menu --> Akai MPD 32
-Go to 'Options' --> 'Sync' --> 'Midi Clock'
-Right Click Record Button in transport panel --> 'Edit Remote
Override Mapping' --> Choose Akai MPD 32 for 'Control Surface'
Choose CC 119 for 'Control'

In MPD:
-Choose 'Reason' Preset --> Press 'Edit' --> Press one of the transport buttons so that 'transport' appears in window --> Press Enter --> Turn
Knob and select 'Midi' --> Press Enter --> Press Preset

**To Use Tap Tempo:
-Press 'Edit' --> Press 'Tap Tempo Button' Once So that 'Tempo'
Appears in window --> Press 'Enter' so that a tempo value shows in
window --> Then tap the tempo button according to the beat you
want!

Hope that works for someone...

goldmind i couldn't find the cc119 option for the control. can you tell me where to find this all i got was the faders, pads, and switches, options. nothing for the tap tempo or the cc119 option that you are talking about. let me know i really ant to use the tap tempo button. thanks

RaynSon said:
"goldmind i couldn't find the cc119 option for the control. can you tell me where to find this all i got was the faders, pads, and switches, options. nothing for the tap tempo or the cc119 option that you are talking about. let me know i really ant to use the tap tempo button. thanks"

Not sure if it matters but just fyi I'm on a pc. Anyway, to get the MPD's record button to work in Reason (stop and play seem to work automatically when the akai MPD is set to Midi)....

-right click record button in reason's transport panel then choose
-edit remote override mapping
-a dialog box with two drop down menus will come up
-for the first drop down menu for selecting your control surface
akai mpd 32 should be selected.
-**in the second drop down menu for selecting the control, is
where you'll scroll down and find CC119 in the list. Select it and click
ok.

Now, for **tap tempo, that's all done in the mpd, as far as I know.

-Make sure that akai mpd is set to reason preset,
-and that reason is set to midi clock sync, in the bottom drop down menu under preferences/advanced control,
-that reason's also set to midi clock under options (options->sync-
>midi clock),
-and that mpd is set to midi,

-Press Edit on mpd
-Press 'Tap Tempo Button' Once So that Tempo
Appears in MPD window
-Press 'Enter' so that an actual number shows for the tempo in the
mpd window
-Tap the tempo button and you'll see the numbers change in the mpd's
window (you'll also know you're doing it right because the tempo in
reason window should show nothing)
-when you get the tempo you like, press enter.
-Then press Preset to get back to main mpd screen

obviously it doesn't work like the actual mpc because every time I want to use the tap tempo, i have to go into this edit mode. It is nice though that it allows you to set the tempo by 'feel' vs. number.
I don't know of a way to set it up to have the tap tempo button active at all times. If anyone knows of a way to do this, that would be helpful...

Last edited:
Hi Goldmind23,

I am having problems with my Record Button on MPD32. I followed all your steps but it still won't record. I was wondering if you can help me out. Here is my post with all the steps I had taken and the results.

Home > Hardware > Synthesizers & MIDI Controllers (Hardware) > Akai MPD32 Record Button Not Working with Reason 4.0.1

Thanks man.

DO everything RaynSon said but in theend instead of the ccwhatever
record button.

hey while where on this see i barley got mine as well and those instuctions worked for me BUT u know i finished my ish and logged off and when i opened up reason again i had to redo everything.

How can i save my settings?

My mpd same story.

i have never used those instructions in my life if anybody needs help setting the mpd32 up with reason hit me on aim at clppyclipp

Hi Random_Poster,

Thanks man, I followed all of the instructions, and also tried using Record button instead of CC119. Still same result.

In short, if I make Reason the master, I can get MPD32 to record but my note repeat won't be working unless I change the MPD32 tempo manually. This defeats the purpose of getting a midi controller where I am suppose to control everything with it (at least the most basic function).

If I make MPD the master and Reason the slave, my note repeat works but my Record doesn't.

I know I can work with it using the long method but it seems people are able to get their MPD to both record and do note repeat when MPD is set as the master. So I would like to find out how.

Now I have another problem, when launching Vyzex it tells me autosense failed. I need to open up preference and set up from the MIDI in and out ports. Just out of curiosity, does anyone use the Vyzex to set up the MPD? The manual tells me to set MIDI In to Port 1 and MIDI Out to Port 2.

In Reason Preferences, should MIDI In and Out set to Port 1, or Port 1 and Port 2 respectively? Using Reason's autosense, MIDI In and Out are set to Port 1, but this seems to conflict with Vyzex MIDI in and out.

Any help is very much appreciated because I haven't heard back from Akai.

Hi goldmind Im new on this forum. Im a Reason 5 user, Win XP SP3 and I have the same problem about Record button (In the LCD it shows CTRL 119 and it does nothing). My problem is that I scrolled down and I didn'n find that "CC119" in the list, It wasn't there. Anyone solved this problem to help me with this?

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Same problem here. Did you find any solution?

Back