Fantom x or fantom g????

Idk which to go with. The G goes for 1600 used and X for 1000. The G im leaning towards because of the mouse making it easy to navigate especially when laying out the song. Does the G have the same sounds as the X???

I assume you are talking about Roland? I have a lower-level model from a few years back (Juno G) that has the same synth engine; I have been very happy with its sounds and capabilities.

Is there any way for you to try them (X and G) out locally before you buy?

GJ

I did a google search of fantom X verse fantom g comparison and there are half-a-dozen sites and forums with threads and such. I'd read through those and check the angles for features and specs and such.

If it's any consolation, I recently snagged a Fantom G, but I still use the Juno-G (one of my favorite keyboards) for a ton of work.
I just had the screen replaced (a common problem) and yeah...had the screen repaired.

Last edited:
>>>>I just had the screen replaced (a common problem) and yeah...had the screen repaired.<<<<

Yup, exactly G.A.; mine (screen) has been acting funny after several years too, but everything else is fantastic. Great sounds, relatively compact unit, great for studio, decent for stage. I was hoping to get more use out of the four-track recorder (the newer Juno Gi has an 8-track!), but even with updated memory, the time it takes to render a single track of audio makes it almost unusable. As a MIDI workstation with awesome sounds, however, it is outstanding.

GJ

Yeah. If you have proof of original ownership, Roland should be able to cover the repair of the screen for you.
I had it repaired 2x since I've had it. Recently with the new batch of screens and it's perfect now.
It required a firmware update for the new hardware LCD, but rightly so after that.

I have no idea why I love that board so much. Somehow it just works in every context.
And I have some much more powerful workstations, but that's the quick solution.

I too have used it for just about everything.
When I had access to a KORG OASYS, I sampled tons of sounds and loaded my own custom set of hits into it's memory.
The downside is that it took forever to load/start up.

I have the platinum trax (at least I think it's that one) SRX installed.
And that was a pretty good bang for the buck. I still can't believe this many years later, they still cost ^ $100s.

When the screen died or orange-blanked, I used the Soft Editor, but switching sounds was real tedious.
I always did like the sounds of the Fantom-X, but didn't see the need to 'bump up'.

The Fantom-G was a good opportunity and I did say I always wanted one so....

Back