Do good plugins really make a difference?

Coleman1

Coleman1
I know a lot of people talk about this but I can see why. I've used the stock plugins from fl studio for quite a whole and know them pretty well. Although I can make a tonne of different sounds, I hear nexus/sylenth and they just sound incredibly better. It's not that I don't know my plugins well enough, it honestly feels like they just don't sound as good as those 3rd party plugins. Thoughts..?

having top notch plug-ins won't make your music any better if the underlying quality is not already there;

such an argument (buying the best you can will make you a better player/musician) is often heard in terms of buying instruments - I do not advocate buying the cheapest possible (usually flawed workmanship and poor intonation are the big winners here, meaning that the instrument either breaks or won't/can't play in tune) but I also do not think that buying the best possible available is a sensible thing either: if you cannot play it won't make a bean of difference whether you are using a upper level beginners instrument or a fully professional instrument, the differences will mean ease of play but won't make you sound any better until you know how to control the instrument and your body

when it comes to plug-ins you do not have the body issues but you do have the issues of creativity and repeatability. So yes better plug-ins will make your overall sound better but will it make the music that you are making better is a debatable point and one that will usually end being no it can't/won't

good vst's like nexus and sylenth make a HUGE difference. get away from those stock sounds ASAP! lol..also, omnisphere is a great one, as well as trilian.

If you actually know how to use your plugins, then no, you can make really good sounds with just your stock plugins, especially chaining FX after your synth/virtual instrument

If you are a presets only kinda person, then you will need a LOT of plugins and preset banks to keep your tracks fresh. Honestly, I think it's a very lazy approach to your music. There's nothing wrong with using a preset, but only using presets because you can't make your own sounds is a pretty poor approach to electronic music.

FL studio has imo the best set of stock plugins there are, you definitely can make 99.5% of all sounds using just FL stock plugins and free ones.

If you actually know how to use your plugins, then no, you can make really good sounds with just your stock plugins, especially chaining FX after your synth/virtual instrument

If you are a presets only kinda person, then you will need a LOT of plugins and preset banks to keep your tracks fresh. Honestly, I think it's a very lazy approach to your music. There's nothing wrong with using a preset, but only using presets because you can't make your own sounds is a pretty poor approach to electronic music.

FL studio has imo the best set of stock plugins there are, you definitely can make 99.5% of all sounds using just FL stock plugins and free ones.

It's much more likely that you need to practice using your plugins more rather than buying new ones. If I had the choice, I'd much rather have the FL stock plugs than nexus and sylenth.

Back