Dave Smith Instruments: Poly Evolver Keyboard

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
Arriving in the mail next week... Expect a ton of info and review soon!

:victory:

POLY EVOLVER KEYBOARD by Dave Smith!

UPDATE: Part 1 is a video: https://www.futureproducers.com/article.php/id/44

UPDATE (2): new track (Paysages 3) composed using the Poly Evolver Keyboard, only custom sounds:
http://www.manuelclement.com
(~6 minutes ambient track warning ;) )

Summary: What is the "PEK"?

4 voice *TRUE ANALOG* oscillators envelopes, filters (etc) AND *ALSO* digital oscillators, filters, delays, etc.

It has all the waveforms from the PROPHET VS, and you can add new ones via MIDI.

NO MENUS! It is ALL on top with dedicated endless rotary knobs (77), buttons and switches.

Did I mention NO MENU? :) That is the main thing that is uncomfortable to me, on most modern synths... Too many menus to explore.

More info about the synth:
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/polyevolver/design.html

More info about Dave Smith (MIDI! Prophet V! etc):
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/other/museum.html

Yummy pictures:
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/polyevolver/photos.html

You guys can expect a full reviews to be published on FP within the next month or so.

Time to get back to my roots of polyphonic lush analog pads and strings (vinyl record of Jarre's Equinoxe playing in the background) ;)

Stay tuned!

-mano

Congrats!

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose this over something like an Andromeda or a Voyager?

The Andromeda seems like a terrific synthesizer, no doubt. To me the Poly Evolver seemed even more straightforward to program, and the additional digital features and routing seemed super interesting to explore.

The Voyager is something I also looked at. It also seems to be amazing, although I already have a monophonic analog (Micromoog) and wanted to play some chords and lush pads. The digital features integrated are also welcome.

Finally, I really like the fact that those are endless rotary knobs, this makes it easy to adjust parameters on patches you load in.

Overall, the concept of the synth seems very innovative, while keeping the advantages and comfortable paradigm of old synthesizers.

Looks nice have fun.. I know you can't wait to get your hands on it. Thats the same way i feel. I'm about to get my hands on the MPC 4000.. Can't wait!!!!

sweeeeeeeeet!
if you have time, give us a taste (via mp3s)

Hey congratz Mano !!!!!!!!!!!!

He looks so ugly (just like his little Evolver brother) but it seems to have a great sound ánd excellent modulation features - great to make e.g. long dreamy pad sounds and much more...
Let me know what you think about it !!

:D THM

Actually, I *do* like the look quite a bit, although I also heard other folks disliking it. I think it looks fine.

Yep can't wai tot play with it... aaa

I think it looks very clean and pure. I like the looks of it! Rather that instead og 1000+ knobs and 2000+ leds.

Bluedays said:
sweeeeeeeeet!
if you have time, give us a taste (via mp3s)

I definitely will post sounds as part of the review. I am also tempted to shoot some video as part of or as the review itself... Depending on how much time I have ;)

It arrives tomorrow, and I will make sure to document how everything goes from there.

:cheers:

Wow thats a fun looking synth. Hey mano, are those full sized keys?

blue_lines said:
Wow thats a fun looking synth. Hey mano, are those full sized keys?

Yep.

It is nearly 40" wide. Click on the links I put up there for specs, etc.

mano 1 said:

Yep.

It is nearly 40" wide. Click on the links I put up there for specs, etc.

I've been told its actually the same keybed thats used in the Andromeda (Dave Bryce, the marketing guru responsible for bringing the Andromeda to the Market now works for Dave Smith).

mmhh try again now. It works both on IE and Firefox from here.

You may have tried while I was publishing the atrticle.

great to read that it has a classic step sequencer !! I'm still looking for an old sequencer, but the Korg SQ-10 seems too expensive for a sequencer ($500 or more) and I can't find an other analog step sequencer (with "analog" I mean with CV/Gate)

mano 1 said:
mmhh try again now. It works both on IE and Firefox from here.

You may have tried while I was publishing the atrticle.

I see only the first second or so (the WIndows logo scrambling) and then it stops...but nevermind; I'm working on my wife's PC right now so tomorrow I'll try again on my own PC

PS: my studio is still not ready but it will be ready soon... (let's say by the end of next week)

mmhh there is no windows logo in the video ... You may need to install the latest Windows Media Player version.

I'll add a WMP button on the article itself.

THM said:
great to read that it has a classic step sequencer !! I'm still looking for an old sequencer, but the Korg SQ-10 seems too expensive for a sequencer ($500 or more) and I can't find an other analog step sequencer (with "analog" I mean with CV/Gate)

Actually, there's loads of analog sequencers around these days, but unfortunately most of them are pretty expensive...the only one that I can think of right now that'd fit the budget would be the Mobius from Future Retro...

Back