Dave Smith Instruments: Poly Evolver Keyboard

Thanks for the video, I thoroughly enjoyed the lightshow :D

As far as the sound goes, I think I'll be skipping this one. I have wayyyy too much in the way of agressive sounds :(

;)

It seems to be very capable of soft sounds too though - the first video was mainly browsing through the first few presets which happen to be quite "loud".

Although towards the last 2 minutes of the video you can hear some more subtle stuff.

I am tapping on the keys now, with a preset called "Silent Movie" - quite the opposite of the mix-cutting-saws :)

I'm off for a late night of Evolver fun :)

I am glad you guys enjoy the video. More will come. I'd be happy to focus on specific things if you have wishes!

Array said:
Lets hear some late 70's and early 80's synth emulations :D

Well I don't know about "emulations", but the music I will be composing using the synth, and thus the sound examples for the review, will be in the flavors of the years you mentioned ;)

Although beside being a nice old fashioned analog synth - VERY much like a Prophet V with CURTIS analog oscillators, filters, enveloppes - it has so much more to offer on top, it is hard to not reach for those extra features :)

It is just awesome how you can have both analog, shaking bass oscillators, AND Prophet VS-style digital oscillators on the same voice... Makes a great formula.

mano...this is an off the wall question...

think you could sample some of the sounds and make like an FP sample pack or somethin to that effect..i would love to play with some of those sounds..
dj.gif

SInister_Keys said:
mano...this is an off the wall question...

think you could sample some of the sounds and make like an FP sample pack or somethin to that effect..i would love to play with some of those sounds..
dj.gif

Well it is a good thing you ask this question :)

This is not related specifically to the Poly Evolver Keyboard, but I have been planning to release a series of sounds (probably KONTAKT instruments as well as WAV packs) sometime in the future...

Evolver (or other gear) specific sounds? Not sure. I will probably combine my tools in various ways and pack things by style rather than by gear used.

Good to hear you like the Evolver's sound as I do :)

I had to install media player 10 to see the video. Or else it looked like corrupted.

That’s a beast, man! Powerful and aggressive sounds! I was sitting and thinking while I heard the most screaming sounds: “God be with those monitors!” :D

Congrats, dude!

cubbyhouse said:
I was sitting and thinking while I heard the most screaming sounds: “God be with those monitors!” :D

:D you know it is funny you say this, because the monitors (130W RMS 20/20bas) DID go NUTS... The cones were shaking like crazy.

This morning I programmed a very soft bass patch with an evolving sustain... Very relaxing :)

The sound can be reminiscent of some early Jarre recordings (Equinoxe, Les Chants Magnetiques, etc) although I haven't used any effects yet because the PEK stands very well dry, on its own: I imagine that with a sweet reverb and some chorus it could get even more interesting.

I will hook it up to Cubase/SCOPE soon and try to track some layers, see how things sit in a mix, etc.

mano 1 said:

It is just awesome how you can have both analog, shaking bass oscillators, AND Prophet VS-style digital oscillators on the same voice... Makes a great formula.

Ehhh...while the digital oscilators on the PEK DO have access to the same spectral waves as the Prophet VS, they dont have any of the vector synthesis capabilities :(

mano 1 said:

i have been planning to release a series of sounds

man thas superb.....an FP sample pack...you need a few more sounds to check out to see if ya wanna include them...i have a lotta synth samples from tritons,motifs,..mc-909 and a few more actual hardware pieces

Array said:

Ehhh...while the digital oscilators on the PEK DO have access to the same spectral waves as the Prophet VS, they dont have any of the vector synthesis capabilities :(

Sure, thanks for clarifying if I sounded like I was talking about Vector Synthesis. I was not.

The oscs do get "Trashy" at high frequencies though, like the VS synth.

Furthermore, they allow you to upload your own waveforms. That is pretty cool and different, for a synth with real analog oscillators, filters and envelopes.

This is what I meant. :)

SInister_Keys:
Well actually I was planning to release sound collections as a personal project like I would do with my music; and I am not planning to manage any project with more people involved at the moment. Thanks for offering your help though!

mano 1 said:

SInister_Keys:
Well actually I was planning to release sound collections as a personal project like I would do with my music; and I am not planning to manage any project with more people involved at the moment. Thanks for offering your help though!

cool mano..im lookin forward to your sound set...make it hot baaby :)

would ya mind if i posted up a sound set or 2 for download??

Last edited by a moderator:
SInister_Keys said:
would ya mind if i posted up a sound set or 2 for download??

you can post a thread about a sound set you have for download, if you want; however do not post any copyrighted material.

Let's get back to the topic though ;)

mano 1 said:

:D you know it is funny you say this, because the monitors (130W RMS 20/20bas) DID go NUTS... The cones were shaking like crazy.

This morning I programmed a very soft bass patch with an evolving sustain... Very relaxing :)

The sound can be reminiscent of some early Jarre recordings (Equinoxe, Les Chants Magnetiques, etc) although I haven't used any effects yet because the PEK stands very well dry, on its own: I imagine that with a sweet reverb and some chorus it could get even more interesting.

I will hook it up to Cubase/SCOPE soon and try to track some layers, see how things sit in a mix, etc.

It sounded awesome and powerful in the video demo!

What kind of music do you produce, Mano?

cubbyhouse said:
It sounded awesome and powerful in the video demo!
What kind of music do you produce, Mano?

If I only knew :D

I went thru phases, from Dark Orchestral to Minimalistic to Hip Hop to Ambient to (...).

The Evolver is getting me inspired for my "Paysages" project, which is a between ambient and Dark Orchestral.

I make the music that makes me feel good :)

mano 1 said:

If I only knew :D

I went thru phases, from Dark Orchestral to Minimalistic to Hip Hop to Ambient to (...).

The Evolver is getting me inspired for my "Paysages" project, which is a between ambient and Dark Orchestral.

I make the music that makes me feel good :)

And that’s an important thing! Make what you want and be original!

Good luck with that blue beast of yours! :cheers:

off-topic note:
tomorrow afternoon I'll have my Yamaha CS-50 !!!! :victory:
a local pretty wellknown musician/producer of a.o. TV-series scores (and more) is bringing it to me - can't wait... :p

THM said:
off-topic note:
tomorrow afternoon I'll have my Yamaha CS-50 !!!! :victory:
a local pretty wellknown musician/producer of a.o. TV-series scores (and more) is bringing it to me - can't wait... :p

Man! You just HAVE to review it and make some demos! :)

And your Jupiter-8! And... +++ ;)

Have fun, THM!

Awesome! Enjoy it along with your Memorymoog, Synthex, etc (!!!) :D

Looking forward to publish an incredible review from you, after the amazing ELKA SYNTHEX article - that was just great. In fact my interest in getting "another" synth was from reading it, and from listening to the sound examples - I will be looking into emulating those SYNTHEX strings (no Chorus on the Evolver though).

I will be posting updates soon. Stay tuned. I love the PEK so far.

-mano

"Paysages 3" (5:17)

www.ManuelClement.com

The song that is streaming on my "coming soon" page was done using the Poly Evolver Keyboard, tracked into Cubase SX via a Creamware SCOPE Project card.

All the sounds are custom - which was quite challenging as I haven't explored all of what the PEK can do.

I have plans to change the song but I thought I should post it quick for folks to listen to some Poly Evolver Keyboard.

Manuel

Back