Crossfaders instead of volume faders?

Murrley

Looking to design/build a midi controller consisting of 4 volume faders. Can standard crossfaders be used for this?

I think so.. it depends on the design.
A very basic crossfader is just like a normal fader, it just fades between two sources instead of one source and silence.

But generally you want a crossfader to be very smooth and light. That would really suck for a volume fader because even lightly brushing against it will make it move.
It might have a different, non linear or even adjustable fading curve, etc.. Not sure what kind of controller you have in mind, but those are things I wouldn't need or want on my volume faders.

That makes me think.. would be cool to use touchstrips instead of faders. A lot more complex to build and program though.

It'll be a controller with just 4 volume faders. I use volume faders for quick chopping, so I'm looking for faders with a short throw and quick action, but maybe crossfaders might be a bit loose and get easily knocked. I haven't looked into whether they make 45mm volume faders. I'd guess I'd just use a standard linear curve. Any advice welcome Thanks

Last edited:
Back