cheapest midi keyboard?

If you already have a MIDI interface (MIDI I/O on an audio interface for example) you can use any old MIDI keyboard, for example I picked up a Roland E-30 for $20 it has a built in sequencer and 61 keys which can be split between different MIDI channels, it's from the early 90's and doesn't have banks of knobs like a decent MIDI controller should have but like I said it was only $20.....further up the scale I have a JV-80 which is another conventional MIDI keyboard from the early 90's with 61 keys however these keys respond to both velocity and after touch which is an additional control that you can access at the bottom of a key stroke to add vibrato or any other control change you can think of, for example you could use it to trigger a different sample from the same key by just applying more pressure or you could use it to increase the rate of a wobble bass etc....it's a feature I would recommend you look for when deciding on a MIDI keyboard because they don't all have it....another useful thing to keep an eye out for is an expression pedal input and again not all MIDI keyboards have the same features as some only provide a simple latch type pedal input which can only do on/off like a button rather than work like a knob which is exactly what an expression pedal does....these are things to look out for even if you end up getting just a MIDI controller keyboard rather than a conventional MIDI keyboard which is also a synth like my JV-80, for example I have sitting on my desk a cheap Behringer UMX-49 which despite having knobs and a latch type pedal input lacks both an expression pedal input and after touch, it also has some very stiff springy not quite full size keys which is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it's not like the keys on my M-Audio MIDI controller which have a much softer action.

If you go for a USB MIDI controller keyboard here are my recommendations, look for after touch and an "expression" pedal input, go for rotary encoders with LEDs if you can rather than conventional knobs, look for one that can be used as a USB MIDI interface for connecting other MIDI gear to your computer rather than one which is merely a MIDI device, look for one that can always be used via conventional MIDI rather than being dependent upon USB (bus power) or a computer requiring drivers.....another thing to look out for is bundled software which could potentially save you some money if you can exploit the upgrade path.

but if you are looking to get one new don't overlook behringer (this is one area where it is almost impossible for them to stuff up the design or the implementation)

Well...I think it's well possible to f*ck up on this - wonky drivers, tricky mapping, customer support, questionable build quality...lots of things that can go wrong. I remember having a CME controller some years back - either it didn't work at all, or worked partially and when the abysmal support finally came around and fixed the drivers (this took a few years), the thing broke down physically despite only having sat in my rack for the time. But I don't have any experience with these newer Behringer controllers, and in general their stuff is much better than the ol' "Behringer reputation" suggests.

Back