can normal keyboards be used as midi controllers?

S

shockem g

this week im buyin my first keyboard, but after reading around on here i discovered that i should probably get a midi controller first and hook it up through cubase for a first goal.

so my question is, can a normal keyboard be used as a midi controller to program drums and stuff?

sorry if these are beginner questions but i searched and couldn't find anything to match my question.

i'm jus now trying to expand away from FL solo, so i'm wondering how these midi controllers actually work... i think i have a good idea of it but i want some reassurance.

thanks for any help.

if it has midi and you have a midi port (often included in soundcards these day's), yes

i use an old yamaha psr5700 as midi keyboard, costed only 150 € and has way better key's than any midi keyboard.

selector waxx said:
if it has midi and you have a midi port (often included in soundcards these day's), yes

i use an old yamaha psr5700 as midi keyboard, costed only 150 € and has way better key's than any midi keyboard.

Now i sincerely doubt that the PSR has better keys than ANY midi keyboard. I mean look at a Keystation pro 88, or the Doepfer midi keyboards and some of the Yamaha stuff. Sorry but your statement simply isnt true. If you are talking about basic "cheap entry level" midi keyboards I agree.

shockem g,

You can definitely use a keyboard as as a midi controller as long as it has midi out.

Usually the knobs and faders are even midi assignable thus letting you realtime tweak vsti via the keyboard :)

Have fun!

You may want to contact the manufactererererer of your keyboard to make sure, or maybe mine was just lyin. I got a Casio and I emailed them and dude said it wouldn't work as a midi controller but I think he was just trippin. It got midi in and out. Hit 'em up just in case. Or just test it out.

Ghost421 said:
You may want to contact the manufactererererer of your keyboard to make sure, or maybe mine was just lyin. I got a Casio and I emailed them and dude said it wouldn't work as a midi controller but I think he was just trippin. It got midi in and out. Hit 'em up just in case. Or just test it out.
aight i will man i appreciate ya input homie.

Back