Buying first Midi keyboard..what should i get??

jermainesine

Hello, decided to get more serious and that i need a midi keyboard..what should i get? and also thinking of getting a synthesizer but is it worth it or should i just get a vst instead of hardware? does it make a difference?

If you are just starting out, I'd stick with a simple controller keyboard and soft synths; plenty of possibilities there. You can spend under $100 on something fine and dandy. If you discover that you are _really_ into synthesis, you can then explore the possibilities in the hardware world (analog, digital, FM, various combinations). There are some great inexpensive units out there now, but if you don't know what you're looking for, I would just get a controller so you can start to learn...

GJ

Thanks for our advice. I really appreciate it. Do you have any brands or names of good controllers that come to mind?

Pretty much all the same in the $100 and under category. Look for Akai, Korg, Novation, and if necessary, M-Audio.

GJ

If you're starting out and just looking for something to play with then I'd recommend the Korg Triton Taktile or The Novation Bass Station II - both cheap and cheerful

Back