The best midi controller for Record and Reason

dipsett02

How is everyone doing? I would like to know what is the best midi controller to run Record and Reason with. I don't like that oxygen thing so any suggestions? I know how to use the program and I am loving it right now. Thanks in advance.

there is no set best. A lot of people like the Novation boards but they are pricey same with the CME stuff. A lot of people are satisfied with the Oxygens or the Axioms. A better question would be what are the most important things that you need in your controller?

as an owner of novation sl zero (retired), axiom pro, keystation pro 88, oxygen 8 v2 and korg nano kontrol...

i think the best way to go is the korg nano kontrol for the mixer in reason and any keyboard controller with knobs/sliders...

Im looking to sell my radium 49 and use my EPS classic as a midi controller. Ill probably grab a nano just to control reason synths like i used to on my radium then

as an owner of novation sl zero (retired), axiom pro, keystation pro 88, oxygen 8 v2 and korg nano kontrol...

i think the best way to go is the korg nano kontrol for the mixer in reason and any keyboard controller with knobs/sliders...

korg nano control better than a novation with automap ? this is a joke :rofl:

Last edited:
korg nano control better than a novation with automap ? this is a joke :rofl:

just curious...

if you lock the novation to the mixer in Reason what does it do more than korg nano control?

next question...

what does automap give you over a controller with Reason Personality file?

i do not believe i wrote anywhere that one was better than the other. if i did "please" point it out...

what i am saying is that a korg nano controller and a midi keyboard controller with knobs/sliders will function just as well as automap and hypercontrol (axiom pro)...

if we were bragging about what gear one uses/owns then using/owning novation products will sound "more" impressive than korg nano kontrol and a midi controller...

but when you talk about functionality they are about the same.

to sum everything up...

for $200 you can get a korg nano kontroller and a midi keyboard controller that will perform just as well as novation and/or axiom pro...

plus, you will be saving about $250 to $300...

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Im looking to sell my radium 49 and use my EPS classic as a midi controller. Ill probably grab a nano just to control reason synths like i used to on my radium then

the korg nano kontrol is geared more towards the mixer than synth...

you could use it with synths...

i use the nano kontrol with a m-audio oxygen v2 with R+R...

i have the nano kontrol locked to the mixer and use the knob/sliders on the oxygen v2 to programming the synths...

2 me da axiom 49 is da sickes all u do is install da drive in da m audio website n u can customize ur daw to fit your keyboard mapping is done so easy u gt great pads nice keys sliders and knobs wat more do u need

I use an Axiom 49 and it does the trick for me. I use it in Reason and Cubase. The mappings were a bit difficult at first (no auto-map in Reason), but after about 10 minutes I was good to go. I'd suggest getting the PRO if you can, I've heard great things about it.

Ok, I feel confused a bit.

So for those talking about using the Kontrol49 with Reason. Are you then saying you need a second controller to make everything work?

I'm reading in some of these posts a reference to a Kontrol and then a midi controller. Isn't the Kontrol your 'controller?'

Ok, I feel confused a bit.

So for those talking about using the Kontrol49 with Reason. Are you then saying you need a second controller to make everything work?

I'm reading in some of these posts a reference to a Kontrol and then a midi controller. Isn't the Kontrol your 'controller?'
you can use the Kontrol 49 standalone yes. It will work totally fine. the korg Nano Kontrol is a different thing entirely.

Depends on your taste. I know alot of people who has the controlers with all the faders..etc on it. and only uses the keys. If you gonna get that.. USE it lol .

Its not super cheap, but wit the akai mpk49 I can compose and tweak synths in reason, and even browse through samples and patches, barely having to use mouse and keyboard. Not so sure about the mixer though...

all setups will work. im using Akai MPD 26 and M-Audio Keystation 49 which i have had for years and it is still working fine. if your looking for lots of control knobs and faders then the upscale midi controlers are best. But for HIP HOP n R&B we dont ask for much to create.

Last edited:
Back