Best analog Synth?

jahrome

Diamond Member
Best anaolg Synth?

I don't have any analog synths and I looking to add one (keyboard or rack)to my existing set-up.

Any suggestions (and reason why you made the suggestions)?

Thanks.

Jahrome

I am looking for something under $3000...but hopefully around $2000. I am putting together the final pieces of my studio. I already have a Triton Studio, Fantom XR, Motif ES rack, and Ensoniq ASR-10. I may add a EMU Proteus 2000 and a Kurzweil synth. The analog synth will complete my keyboard and synth collection.

Obviously it depends on what your after, but with that budget in mind I'm pretty confindent I'd get a Bob Moog Voyager. For that amount of money you should find a 2nd hand synth as good as new. It is, in my opinion, the mother of all analog synths...

FYI:

The MOOG Minimoog (Model D) is considered as the mother of all analog synths.

There were only a fistful of synths before the Minimoog came out, and most systems were litterally huge (like the big modulars I/II/III and 15/35/55 from MOOG and the Buchla modulars) - except the small sized (but also great sounding) EMS VCS-3/Synthi series. The latter one was used a very lot by a.o. Pink Floyd and Brian Eno and firstly came out a very little sooner than the Minimoog...

But the Minimoog is usually considered as the first (portable) synth with the greatest analog sound ever.

If you'd prefer polyphonic synths, this is a list of the usually most wanted polysynths:
(in no particular order)

* Yamaha CS-80 (the Vangelis favourite - e.g. the entire Bladerunner OST)
* Roland Jupiter 8 (the Nick *Duran Duran* Rhodes favourite)
* Elka Synthex (the JM Jarre favourite)
* Oberheim OB-Xa and OB-8
* Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 and -10
* MOOG Memorymoog with L.A.M.M. (my personal favourite)
* ARP 2600 (when using with the duophonic 3620 keyboard)

Looking for a mono or poly analog? That's pretty much one of the first things to decide...

I would like an analog synth that can do both mono or poly.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jahrome
Motif ES rack
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure? I did not think it was released yet.

Yes. The Motif ES Rack is available but not in the USA. I purchased one from a Japanese retailer on sale for $1010. The price went back up to $1130 but I anticipate that it will come down again.

I would also take a look at an Alesis Andromeda. Best money I've spent on gear in a long time. The bass, string, and wurli sounds that you can create on this beast are top notch. It can get down right nasty, scares me sometimes to tell you the truth. If you want a synth that can make your nutz rattle and can be easily repaired if ever needed I'd check it out. 16 voices, effects, analog distortion, 16 outputs, 3 inputs, and 72 knobs for total control.

The new Moog rack is a good option to: http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=151 You only get 1 voice though.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
I already have a Triton Studio, Fantom XR, Motif ES rack, and Ensoniq ASR-10. I may add a EMU Proteus 2000 and a Kurzweil synth.

Rompler heaven...

edit:

Do any of those units have expansion cards in them?

Last edited:
My top three would be the Moog Voyager, the Alesis Andromeda, and Dave Smith's Poly Evolver keyboard.

Everything else is a pretty dim second place.

For true analog mono, with programmability, flexibility, and bulletproof construction, the Voyager stomps all comers.

For analog polysynth flexibility, with attendant good tone, the Andromeda knows few peers.

For a hybrid analog/digital combo, highlighting the best features of both adigital and analog, with a well-designed signal path, sterling pedigree and built-in True Evil™, the Evolver devours pretenders.

All have external inputs for processing your wimpier synths or feeding the synth back into itself. (The Evolver has this hardwired, so no patch cables necessary.)

All three are truly excellent synths.

I own a Voyager. (I've owned two. I sold one of 'em at a profit, and could sell the second at a profit anytime, so it's not just the "your-investment-talking" syndrome.) I love it. For an expressive, reactive solo voice, it's without parallel. Superb in design, execution and craftsmanship. In case of a fire, it's the first thing I'd check for, after my wife.

-Hoax

Rompler heaven...

edit:

Do any of those units have expansion cards in them?

No expansion cards just yet but I will max out all the units before I move to Oklahoma in May.

Thank you all for your opinions. I am planning to sit down this weekend to review your suggestions.... also watch my Steelers take it to the Patriots for the second time this year! I prey for an all PA Suberbowl!

So far, the Moog Voyager($2800 new) and the Alesis Andromeda ($3000 new)are heading the pack.

The Andromeda has a slight edge because it is a poly synth that has 16-channel multitimbral with full MIDI control. Also, I have found a used one for $2500.

How many MIDI channels does the Moog Voyager have? Also, with the exception of the keys, are their any differences between the Voyager and the Voyager rack?

jahrome said:
How many MIDI channels does the Moog Voyager have? Also, with the exception of the keys, are their any differences between the Voyager and the Voyager rack?
There you hit the weak place of the Voyager right in the heart: it has the incredible MOOG sound, but this is a monosynth - which means it is monophonic and monotimbral synth - i.e. you can only play one note at once - so chords are impossible (except arpeggiated of course) and you can only use one MIDI channel at a time (except - theoretically - when owning several Voyagers of course).

The Voyager and the Andromeda are generally by far the best modern analog synths as they are analog - greater sound - ánd they offer full MIDI implementation. Also repair is much easier if required.
For polyphony the only option (leave the theory of several synths like I was talking about behind 'cause it's priceless) the best modern synth is without any doubt the Andromeda.
I tested them both several times (Voyager and Andromeda - even next to each other); last time was even last week when I went to buy my JP-8 from a great music score composer and synths owner - http://www.fonnydewulf.be/index2.php?content=724 ) and they sound amazing.

I forgot to say: the vintage analog synths like I mentioned above are imho *pure soundwise* even still slightly better sounding, but they have the disadvantage of age (hard to repair if they're broken, no full MIDI implementation - even no factory basic MIDI unless installed afterwards, and they lack big preset storage capacities - some have even no storage).

An exception which does have full MIDI control and can be repaired fast is the MOOG Memorymoog modificated by Lintronics ( www.lintronics.de ) - the so-called "L.A.M.M." version (Lintronics Advanced Memorymoog Modification). But it is a - well eh - quite pricey piece (I know its price 'cause I bought one straight from Lintronics and my wife almost killed me because of that). :p

the andromeda is probably going to give you the most flexibility, I own one. It sound very very nice, but just in case you are headed down the purist path, one thing you will have to remember is that the A6 has analogue oscillators, so you do get a genuine analogue tone and also has analogue filters, however the sculpting stuff i.e. envelopes lfo's etc are all digital so in a sense it's a hybrid.

It sounds nothing like a digital synth though.

I really am leanin towards the Andromeda but......

To own a Moog...

Let me get on my hustle to see if I can't get both....

That will be at least $5500...I could almost get a Pro Tools HD setup or some Apogee AD/DA converters...or an Avalon Mic-pre w/ a Neuman mic..dang...

Back