Anyone Own A MicroKorg?

OGBama

Anyone own a microKORG, microKORG XL or microKORG XL+? I have no prior synth experience and want to own 1 first synth as I already own a digital piano.

Last edited:
I wanted to know if either the Microkorg or the Minilogue would be suitable for a beginner w/no synth experience.

Last edited:
I would go microKorg Bam. The Monologue is more "synth-y," in that you can do some real hands-on tweaking of parameters, but it is also monophonic (so more of a lead or effect instrument). The microKorg has a number of decent presets for starting points, you can still do some tweaking, but it is more "keyboard-y," if that makes any sense. Plug and play, polyphonic; you could do organ or electric piano type sounds if you wanted to, but also see how you like working with a real (hardware, not virtual) synth and then make subsequent decisions from there. It also has the vocoder and some other goodies. But-- if price is a consideration, it's at least $100 more than the Mono, unless you go used (and there are some out there, but of course, buyer beware)...

Last edited:
What's your goal though? I f'n hate programming the MK – it's not that it's hard, but it's more laborous than it should be with its editing matrix. The sound palette may be broader, but the Minilogue has both an excellent interface & it sounds good (and it's actually analog if that kind of thing matters to you). I don't think the MK is very nice for learning synthesis.

As a sidenote the original MK is based on the Korg MS2000, which was one of the first VA synths on the market - actually, it's more or less the same synth, sans the (great) interface of the MS2K. The MKXL is based on the newer Korg Radias, which to many sounds a bit more, well, "plastic" than the MS2K engine. Not that it probably matters much if it's your first synth, but just pointing out that there's a difference that goes beyond the physical dimensions.

The Monologue is more "synth-y," in that you can do some real hands-on tweaking of parameters, but it is also monophonic (so more of a lead or effect instrument).

She was talking about the Minilogue, which is a polysynth (same 4 note poly as with the MK).

The microKorg is just a nice, compact, user-friendly device from what I've seen. Offline we discussed various options. For the job discussed, I would think a workstation would be the best option, but space considerations are a big part of the process (not enough room for a big keyboard). Also, I think having great presets as starting points for an absolute synth beginner is a very good idea. I have some (albeit little) experience with the microKorg, and from what I saw (admittedly briefly) at NAMM, the Minilogue isn't that impressive.

It's a gut reaction, but I guess then the question would be why would you prefer the Mini? We know they will be coming out with something new next year (two years at best); I'm inclined to go with a proven format.

PS-- I own a lot of Korg products, but I don't work for Korg (full disclosure).

Last edited:
Ideally your first synth should provide a control over every parameter so that you can learn to dial up patches via trial an error until it becomes second nature then after that you should have no problem dialing up a patch on any synth that has a crap user interface.

It's a gut reaction, but I guess then the question would be why would you prefer the Mini?

Mainly because the controls are right there (and it's not like it doesn't have presets) - like I said before, it makes experimentation a breeze. With the MK, you'll have to pre-select what you're about to adjust, and there's little feedback that something's happening - if you happen to adjust a parameter that for some reason doesn't currently affect the sound, you don't really know if you're doing something wrong. No quick glancing at the knobs to see where everything's at on the MK either. Then again, the MK isn't exactly a complex synth, so it's not that hard to learn - but if you're starting from zero, its interface is an extra brick wall to climb at the very beginning.

Last edited:
HT and krushing make great points from a synthesist perspective. But that is why I asked my initial questions regarding purpose/need, desire for something more "keyboard-y" vs. "synth-y," etc. Based on discussions here, and some that have occurred outside the forum, I would still recommend the microKorg, but obviously depending on what is wanted/needed, either could fit the bill, and if tweakable parameters and learning cross-platform applicable techniques is important, the Minilogue might be better (and maybe something like Fred Welsh's "Synthesizer Cookbook"). OG, please do report back here on what you decide to do, why you did it, and how it all works out...

I'd look at the Novation MiniNova myself.
Friend had one - he upgraded to the Ultranova.
Presets are more 'modern sounding' than the microkorg and it's very easy to get your head round when you're ready to get into sound design.
Decent arp. Good support from Novation.
Should be easy to sequence and or sample from/to your DAW/MP.

I've got a BassStation2 and Circuit as well as their Impulse49 midi board - can't fault any of the Novation gear - tbh I'm a fan.

Back