Akai max 49, thoughts?

hm, dont like the red design much. but the touch controls lookin good and hopefully the pads are better than the old ones in the mpk49..

I think the price is warranted considering all of the features. MPC-like pads, touch faders, CV control, good keybed, etc. Looks like it has some really nice features. It's direct competition is probably the Novation boards... and a brand new 49 key novation SL mkii is $499.

I don't like the red either lol. I wonder if the pads are actually good this time around, or if they need to be upgraded too.

CV control was an unexpected feature, but besides that and the touch faders it's just like any other controller.

^depending on how good the stock pads are on the Max.

The MPKs stock pads honestly suck IMHO.

Looks like with this keyboard, Akai is bringing its own mapping software in to compete with Novation's Automap and Avid's Hypercontrol.

I just ordered one from hello music for $399. With all of the built-in functions (arpeggiator, step sequencer, MPC swing) I feel like this thing is far above any other controller on the market.

I think that it is not very different from the mpk49 (which I have) and the new features seem cool but its not worth the money for an upgrade.

I really am missing my knobs! D:
But I really like how they consolidated the pads this time in 3x4 and not 4x3. It makes so much more sense that way considering most DAW's that use MPC style emulation (Like the drum rack in Ableton or the FPC in FL)
Really hope the pads aren't shit, and that the construction is solid.
Honestly though, for the price, I think I would have to go with the Novation considering it has Automap and integrates to logic unlike the MPK49. Just get a pad controller to go along with it if you want to bang on something (I would get a Quneo if I were you guys considering it's amazing.)

Back