Advanced MIDI routing: MPC, ASR, S950, Moog, MIDI Patchbay

iamtrevorlang

Here is a list of all the gear I am trying to connect:

MPC-2000xl
ASR-10
Akai s950
Moog Sub Phatty
Akai ME30P MIDI Patchbay

I am attempting to do all my sequencing on the MPC-2000xl (master). I would then like to trigger the s950 via the pads on the MPC for my drums. All samples would be chopped and played via the keys on the ASR-10 but sequenced on the MPC. For the Moog Sub Phatty, I would also like to use its keys to play the synth, but have it sequenced on the MPC as well. I have everything wired correctly (audio outs to patchbay/mixer amd all midi ins and outs routed to the MIDI patchbay).

I am familiar with the operation of all the items, and can easily access and change the MIDI settings in each, but I am still a little unclear on what the actual settings even need to be? Can anyone break down the actual MIDI channel everything needs to be set on each piece of gear In and Out?

I am also a little unclear how the MIDI patchbay effects the settings... do I just set up all the channels via that? or do I still need to set them on each instrument and have them corresponding on the patchbay? I assumed the whole purpose of the patchbay would be to allow me to have multiple different routing options available at the click of a button (example: change my ASR to do all the sequencing, or have the MPC trigger everything on the pads, etc). In other words does it not matter what channels all of the MIDI in the instruments is set, then gets assigned inside the patchbay?

Please help me, I am itching to use all this gear together and make some tracks!

I'm an all digital fellas who uses midi controllers but I think all you'd have to do is use the correct cables and plug them in the right slots.
Those regular non usb/midi cables would probably do the trick.

Not familiar with the ME30P but it seems to me that it's not really doing anything in regards to the MIDI channels of a single MIDI connection - it's just routing its 4 outputs to the eight outputs. So the channels have to still be set from both the sending and the receiving device. The channel numbers you choose don't really matter.

Back