Studio Monitors??? which one's should I get?

Still_learning

So I have moderate home studio that is set up in an L shape I have 2midi keyboards against one wall a laptop in the corner and my main mixing area with my studio monitors and big computer screen on the other wall.

Thing is, I love the monitors I have now M-Audio AV40 cheap but decent and I have learned to use them effectively over the past few years.

But here is what I am looking for help with, I don't like playing melody's and stuff on my keyboards and have the sound coming at me from the side, so I'm looking for a small set of cheap decent monitors to set up behind my keyboards

i have 3 options that I am looking into and I plan on ordering on monday,

First choice is Numark NPM5 Numark NPM5 Active Stereo DJ Studio Speaker System | eBay

Second option is Rockville ASM5 Rockville ASM5 5" 2 WAY 200W Active Powered USB Studio Monitor Speakers Pair | eBay

3rd option which would probably be best is a set of used KRK rokit 5 monitors with mo pads for $220

I have always hated KRK since I first saw a set of there speakers, but I've never heardnor owned a pair so I can't say they sound bad, I would rather not spend $220 and I'm leaning towards buying the refurbished Numark NPM5's

But before I make a decision does anyone have any other good options I could look into, or have any experience with the rockville's or the Numark's?

I don't really wanna go over $200 since I don't need a new monitor setup just something to set up behind my keyboards.

Thanks in advance!

Why don't you buy some cheap home stereo equipment from a thrift store?
The options you've given aren't really "monitor" class -- they just seem like hi-fi speakers to me. Especially the "Rockville USB-Powered" speakers.

It's very clear that you're worried about appearance -- you selected a couple of options that "look" more "pro" than they are, and you don't want Rokits simply because you don't like how they look. Maybe you should get into photography or some other visual art instead if appearance is so important to you. ;)

Anyway, you'd be best served by your third option -- buy some Rokits. Use the Rokits as your new monitors and set up your AV40s behind your keyboard. Your mixes will thank you.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I am surely not looking at speakers due to their appearance, I was looking at the fact that they are affordable, can you find another set of speakers for the same price as the NPM5's or the Rockville's that are Active? I do care what they look like though, honestly I think most people want nice equipment. Like I said above, I'd rather not spend $220 on another set of speakers when I have grown to know my M-Audio speakers good enough.

Didn't get the KRK's I got the NPM5's and I am happy with them, also, I have tons of home stereo speakers. I have Yamaha speakers, Pioneer's, Sony, Aiwa... none are what I need right now.

I like your sarcasm though, maybe i'll drive up to Salem from Eugene and pee on your equipment :finger:

Haha just playin' thanks for your advice, when I upgrade from these AV40's I'm getting Yamaha HS50's

Yea I listened to them at a local store "Pro Sound & Video" I listened to those and a pair of Mackie's not sure what model, but the Yamaha's seemed better. The Mackie's had too much bass, the Yamaha's seemed more well balanced. I also like the Behringer Truth monitors.

What do you use?

Maybe you should get into photography or some other visual art instead if appearance is so important to you. ;)

-Ki
Salem Beats

Maybe you should look into flipping burgers since obviously music isn't your strongest talent.

Hint, Just because you learned to put the snare on the 2's and the hi hats on the 8's doesn't make you an artist. The sorry ass beats on your website prove that.

Music isn't for everyone son, I hear KFC is hiring.

Maybe you should look into flipping burgers since obviously music isn't your strongest talent.

Hint, Just because you learned to put the snare on the 2's and the hi hats on the 8's doesn't make you an artist. The sorry ass beats on your website prove that.

Trolling | Know Your Meme

-Ki
Salem Beats

You can't be a real musician if you're saying stuff like that, I listened to Salem Beats, they were dope. I know mine ain't too bad either. Music is for everyone who has a passion for it, you had no reason to comment here anyways.
You are a bad contribution to this website, and should be banned.

Have fun trolling :hello:

You can't be a real musician if you're saying stuff like that, I listened to Salem Beats, they were dope. I know mine ain't too bad either. Music is for everyone who has a passion for it, you had no reason to comment here anyways.
You are a bad contribution to this website, and should be banned.

Have fun trolling :hello:

This entire forum is a bad contribution to MUSIC. If you think that wack niggas beats are dope then you need to seriously take a step back and question your taste in music. It's not as good as you think it is.

And I do have right to say stuff like that. The music business is very competitive and if you're offended by what I said then I have to tell you something no one on this forum wants to hear...

Find a new hobby

This shit is real out here. There are people out there 1000x times better than both of you put together, and if you two homos don't like honest criticism then you both deserve to be serving me at McDonalds.

FACT.

Now gtfo and go back to sniffing salem "shitty" beats' stank butthole while listening to his wack beats that he made on his pirated software while freeloading his momma's electricity and eating all the bologna in the house.

Last edited:
Yea I listened to them at a local store "Pro Sound & Video" I listened to those and a pair of Mackie's not sure what model, but the Yamaha's seemed better. The Mackie's had too much bass, the Yamaha's seemed more well balanced. I also like the Behringer Truth monitors.

What do you use?

That's funny that you auditioned those two in particular -- I work with a local producer who has both of those in his setup. He has one set of Yamaha HS50Ms hooked up through a KRK subwoofer, and a pair of 8-inch Mackies. I helped him set up an A/B switch between the two and used my SPL meter to help him calibrate his sub. Did some mixing on them as well.

The Mackies, to me, sound a little more "neutral" and "bland", like something I would trust my final mixes to.
The Yamahas are more exciting -- something that your synths and samplers sound great through. They seem to be a bit "brighter". More fun.
I haven't heard the Behringers, but I am intrigued by the new "3030A" model with the ribbon tweeter. I've had a hit-and-miss experience with Behringer products, but they've been doing a really good job lately.

I actually use several pairs of speakers in my setup. I used to use KRK monitors a long time ago, but I decided that I would be better served by having several references, and sold the KRKs to buy more variety.

My "A" system now is a set of Aiwa SX-N707s hooked up through a Design Acoustics PS-SW subwoofer. Sounds just the KRKs did, but with more bass extension.
My "B" system is a pair of Sony SS-D201. These put a magnifying glass on the midrange.
The "C" system is a set of huge floorstanding Kenwood JL-790s. A great reference for dull-but-powerful systems.
The "D" and "E" systems are low-end Panasonic and Jensen speakers. Not sure of the model names. They both have about a 4" woofer, but the Jensens have no tweeter. These are my "home/car stereo" references. The Panasonics are basically "boombox" speakers, and the Jensens are pulled from a 5.1 surround sound system.
My "F" system is a tiny little pair of CA computer speakers.

I'd like to have a "G" system if I could find a speaker that sounds exactly like a laptop or cellphone speaker. Maybe I'll have to solder something together.

I also check everything through my Sony MDR-7506 headphones to round it out. I'm going to pick up a pair of AKG 702s soon. It'll be nice to have a "B" headphone.

-Ki
Salem Beats

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

This entire forum is a bad contribution to MUSIC. If you think that wack niggas beats are dope then you need to seriously take a step back and question your taste in music. It's not as good as you think it is.

And I do have right to say stuff like that. The music business is very competitive and if you're offended by what I said then I have to tell you something no one on this forum wants to hear...

Find a new hobby

This shit is real out here. There are people out there 1000x times better than both of you put together, and if you two homos don't like honest criticism then you both deserve to be serving me at McDonalds.

FACT.

Now gtfo and go back to sniffing salem "shitty" beats' stank butthole while listening to his wack beats that he made on his pirated software while freeloading his momma's electricity and eating all the bologna in the house.

Don't mind him. He's a frustrated soul who has had a traumatic experience with his music. Every time you ask to hear it, his brain short-circuits and he starts copy-pasting memes and typing things like "UMAD BRO YOLO".

-Ki
Salem Beats

That's funny that you auditioned those two in particular -- I work with a local producer who has both of those in his setup. He has one set of Yamaha HS50Ms hooked up through a KRK subwoofer, and a pair of 8-inch Mackies. I helped him set up an A/B switch between the two and used my SPL meter to help him calibrate his sub. Did some mixing on them as well.

The Mackies, to me, sound a little more "neutral" and "bland", like something I would trust my final mixes to.
The Yamahas are more exciting -- something that your synths and samplers sound great through. They seem to be a bit "brighter". More fun.
I haven't heard the Behringers, but I am intrigued by the new "3030A" model with the ribbon tweeter. I've had a hit-and-miss experience with Behringer products, but they've been doing a really good job lately.

I actually use several pairs of speakers in my setup. I used to use KRK monitors a long time ago, but I decided that I would be better served by having several references, and sold the KRKs to buy more variety.

My "A" system now is a set of Aiwa SX-N707s hooked up through a Design Acoustics PS-SW subwoofer. Sounds just the KRKs did, but with more bass extension.
My "B" system is a pair of Sony SS-D201. These put a magnifying glass on the midrange.
The "C" system is a set of huge floorstanding Kenwood JL-790s. A great reference for dull-but-powerful systems.
The "D" and "E" systems are low-end Panasonic and Jensen speakers. Not sure of the model names. They both have about a 4" woofer, but the Jensens have no tweeter. These are my "home/car stereo" references. The Panasonics are basically "boombox" speakers, and the Jensens are pulled from a 5.1 surround sound system.
My "F" system is a tiny little pair of CA computer speakers.

I'd like to have a "G" system if I could find a speaker that sounds exactly like a laptop or cellphone speaker. Maybe I'll have to solder something together.

I also check everything through my Sony MDR-7506 headphones to round it out. I'm going to pick up a pair of AKG 702s soon. It'll be nice to have a "B" headphone.

-Ki
Salem Beats

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Don't mind him. He's a frustrated soul who has had a traumatic experience with his music. Every time you ask to hear it, his brain short-circuits and he starts copy-pasting memes and typing things like "UMAD BRO YOLO".

-Ki
Salem Beats

blah blah blah

pecard wtf.jpg

Your words don't mean sh** bro this wasn't a thread to showcase our music if you didn't notice we are in the hardware-software forum. End of topic:topicclosed:

Last edited:
I had the bx5a's.. the KRK rokit 5's.. now I have the Truth's, they are alot better and have more options/switches to set them up right.. I would get them, they sound good to me, thats all I know.

Do you have active truth monitors or passive? I almost bought the 2030p's which are passive but I don't think my amp would drive them very well without making them "colored" and getting rid of the flat response.

It was awesome though, last night somehow my AV40's got knocked off my desk and it smashed the volume knob inside the speaker :sigh:

Now I have to replace them and I will most likely upgrade at this point.

Back