• Presonus Eris 4.5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M-Audio DX5 V2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tannoy Reveal 402

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Totalement

Until now I've been using a home system for monitoring audio, which isn't great. Lows are over-accentuated etc.
I have a budget of around £150/$230, and have found three potential candidates for a pair of studio monitors, however I don't know which ones to get.

1. Presonus Eris 4.5 £139/$212
2. M-Audio DX5 V2 £139/$212
3. Tannoy Reveal 402 £140/$213

If any of you know about these monitors, or even own them I'd like to know your feedback.

Thanks.

I had shared ownership of the previous Tannoy Reveals (blue actives not red passives) and they were excellent monitors.
Of the 3 you've listed they would without doubt be my first choice.

Yamaha HS-7's are what I'm using now and I love them.
My best mate uses KRKs and he gets stellar results (he makes jungle/folk) with them.

I take it you have a fairly small room (looking at 4" nearfields) ?

Yeah, somewhere in the 4-5" range. I've had a look at the three monitors listed in closer detail, and as you've said the Reveals look like my best bet. They're relatively small with better better bass (around the 56Hz range iirc), and much higher highs than the others, reaching around 50KhZ, so it looks like they'll be better than the Eris' (which lack bass), and the DX5 which lack the highest frequencies (rolled-off at 22KhZ.

Cheers

Yeah, somewhere in the 4-5" range. I've had a look at the three monitors listed in closer detail, and as you've said the Reveals look like my best bet. They're relatively small with better better bass (around the 56Hz range iirc), and much higher highs than the others, reaching around 50KhZ, so it looks like they'll be better than the Eris' (which lack bass), and the DX5 which lack the highest frequencies (rolled-off at 22KhZ.

Cheers
Just to be clear: you are aware that humans can't hear above 20kHz? I wouldn't pay the slightest bit of attention to upper frequency limit. The lower limit and evenness across all frequencies are way more important

I've got the KRK Rokit RP6 (6") for the start. Straight forward and crisp sound.
If you want to hear some bass too, I'd recommend to look in the section above 6"; smaller monitors won't give you any good sound in frequencies below 50Hz. Or an additional subwoofer.
But if you're new to producing, these monitors are going to give you a good time.

Cheers

The problem is that the specs tell very little about, well, how these monitors actually sound. There might be some frequency response graphs, but even they are often engineered to look nice rather than easily comparable with other models (untruth -> lie -> graph :) ). And as scrapheaper said, human hearing tops out @ 20kHz - at best.

Back