This is it. Studio monitors.

HardstyleLover

Ok guys, I'm buying a pair of studio monitors in a few days and I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure that what I'm buying will be worth the money spent.

Things to keep in mind:
-Since I'm producing Hardstyle, low-frequencies are really important, I want to hear them "loud" and clear.
-I have 300€ as my budget, maybe I can go a little further.
-I've been considering the KRK's rp5/rp6 as my first choice since a lot of people talk about them.

1) Are the 5' monitors worth buying considering my situation?
2) What monitors would you recommend me also taking a look at?

I just got the RP 6 G3's. Literally just set them up today. They sound nice at first impression,but tomorrow I can really see what Im working with. I DO know one thing....MAKE SURE you get the generation 3 krk's. Frequency response is better, among some other changes they made apparently.

Because you emphasized that low frequencies are important to you, I will recommend the 8" Rokit series.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I have the KRK5 and listen to alot of harder styles like Tekno, Darkcore, etc. I also used to produce a lot of that stuff.
The KRK5 is a great monitor, but I considder it to be a monitor for DJ'ing. Which doesn't depend that much on an actual representation of basses that are there as much as a producer has to.
Their VXT series have a better true representation, but is more expensive.
As far as I got the advice on an earlier post , the larger woofer versions of the krks produce a bit better bass representation, but costwise, it becomes way less interesting as better monitors come close to what you're gonna be paying then.
You don't want monitors to sound like hifi speakers that makes your speakers sound awesome, you want true representation.
I personally think the Yamaha HS7 sounds better then the rokit 6. The Yamaha hs5 and the rokit 5 sound alike, they both have their flaws.
The KRK 5 can do the trick, that'll cost you 240 euros for the pair if you can get a set deal.
The Yamahas will cost you about 380 a pair, as will the rokit 6.
I am saving up for a pair of adam monitors atm.

Anyway, the KRK will do the trick if you learn how to work with em and know how they produce too much bass and that you have to counter that, but it's paying for something that is flawed. For that price range, you won't find anything better , new. Pay a bit more and get the larger ones or the yamahas is an option, getting the vxts if you per se want krks, but then again, you might as well buy yoursef a set of adam monitors. And how about 2nd hand?
It's your choice and what you want to spend.

Last edited:
the KRK will do the trick if you learn how to work with em and know how they produce too much bass

KRKs don't produce too much bass -- they're only slightly hyped in the lower midrange aound 200Hz-ish.

They're very slightly "warm" or "muffled" sounding, rather than "boomy".

This bump is actually fairly nice, because it has the effect of forcing amateur producers to make space in that very muddy region.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
At least they don't represent a very true bass. And are you speaking bout the 5 inch, 6 inch or 8 inch krks?

Yes, you're right -- Not many monitors can represent a true bass without a subwoofer attached.

I'm speaking about the KRKs in general. I used to work on the KRK 5" Rokits a while back. I've heard all of the Rokit series except the huge new 10-3.

I regularly work on Mackie 8" and Yamaha 5" (with a KRK 10 Sub), along with several sets of reference speakers.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Cool.
I think for 240 bucks you wont find anything similar to what the Krk5 brings you. Yamaha hs5 for about 300 bucks.
If you want to spend 380 bucks, get the krk 6 or the yamaha hs7, I personally think the yamahas are better. You could work towards hooking up a subwoofer in the future for truer representation.
Or, get the 8 inch and aim at not having to buy a subwoofer. The krk 8 costs 255 each, so about 500 a pair. Again, I think the yamahas are better and cost the same.
If you want to do really well, get a pair of adams. Adam a5x for 300 bucks each. Then work towards a subwoofer. Or forget about the subwoofer. The room I'm in the krk 5s do good, as far as it goes.
Don't think you can't work on the cheapest advise in this post, cuz you can, but you have to actively keep the flaws in mind and work around that. True representation of sound in an untreated room needs that anyway tbh. Whole other discussion if mixing and mastering should be done in a home studio or not.

Last edited:
The krk 8 costs 255 each, so about 500 a pair.

You're sorta right, and sorta not:

Amazon.com: KRK RP8G2 Rokit G2 8In Powered Studio Monitor, Single Monitor: Musical Instruments

$150-ish for the G2s, which were the latest version up to a few months ago. $300 for a pair. I might actually pick some up to have another reference set, now that you've got me thinking about it. This is a great time to pick up some great monitors for cheap while they're clearing out the "old" models. That page had better still say "Only 20 Left In Stock" when I add them to my cart. :D

EDIT: Now it says "Only 18 Left In Stock". Lol. Wish I had set up an affiliate link.

EDIT 2: Now it says "Only 17 Left In Stock". Who buys only one? :D

I think the yamahas are better and cost the same.

The Yamahas are fairly bright at stock settings, and I don't like mixing vocals on them. I feel like I've put enough "air" on a lead vocal when the Yamahas are telling me that it's shimmering, but the end result sounds dull on almost any playback reference. You can get acclimate to almost any sort of speaker response, though, with enough time and experience.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back