Strating from scratch, what do I need?

DigitizedDuck

Forgive me for this, I know this question has been asked for multiple million times, but I decided to get into musical realm. Musical skills will be a seriously a nice addition for my animations and game design. I'd like to be less dependent on third parties. I know it takes years to develop, but I know it's a rewarding experience as I go further.

I'm a digital artist (painter and 3D modeler) and unlike visual arts which only require a performance computer, software and a graphic tablets. There are many options with tools and instruments to the point I don't know where to start as a beginner. I've even heard that cables can make a huge different with music quality :bigeyes:

What genre of music I'd make? Well, I'm an animator and game designer so there will be quite a lot of variety to my crafts.

My musical knowledge is next to 0, so I'd appreciate your guidance.

It's a long road like the others so to simplify into things to look for kt'd be.

Synthesis
Sampling
Scales
Music theory
Sheet music, learning how to read it
Integer notation, 0-4-7 for three note chords etc

Synthesis
Sampling
Scales
Music theory
Sheet music, learning how to read it
Integer notation, 0-4-7 for three note chords etc

...music theory being the top level term that includes scales, that in turn are intertwined with chord-building; sampling and synthesis being more on the sound design side of things. These might sound abstract and terrifying at this point, but frankly just picking a software package and starting to do something will go pretty far. If you know your way in animation & modelling softwares, picking up a DAW shouldn't be terribly demanding in the technical sense.

And yes, there are about a million threads about picking hardware and software to get started on.

Back