Stranded on an island with only 1 synth.

press_lo

If you were stranded on an island with a small studio and were only allowed to have one synth...what would it be????

I only have one synth and I don't consider myself stranded on an island. I've never thought buying 2 synths was worth it when you have one already.

Would a modular be considered "one synth"? :)

If I had to take one, practical synth that can be picked brand new from the store right now, it'd probably be the DSI OB-6.

Synth or ROMpler/Workstation keyboard?

I just want something great for 'creating new sounds' so I can program categories from scratch.
I assume the small studio does all the recording (including vocals) and storage.

I'd probably go with the piece that's easiest to program.
Analog. Full sized keyboard. Big screen with very little menu diving.

Maybe not analog for widest palette....

my answer for today...Roland jd 800
JD-800.jpeg

http://soundprogramming.net/images/Synth/Roland_JD-800.png

The JD-800 is Roland's answer to half a decade of hard-to-program synthesizers. Covered in sliders that act as dedicated editors just like a classic analog synth, the JD-800 is an extremely programmable and hands-on digital synthesizer. It is also an interesting and great sounding digital synth with incredible flexibility and control. Internal ROM based waveforms are combined to build your sounds. The sounds are based on Roland's D-50, but updated for the nineties with multimode filters - uncommon but welcome at the time.

The JD-800 came in a tough metal case capped off on the sides with large plastic covers. Programming may be a little too flexible for some users, but once you know what you're doing with it, almost any sound you can dream up can be dialed in and stored.

Not quite a synth but the Yamaha YM2612, love its sound, deep bass heavy vibes, not always been used to its full potential but when it is it's a killer sound chip.

Novation Circuit is a good answer!
I've used a few grooveboxes and Circuit is definitely the most fun... So quick to come up with stuff and really easy to intergrate into a larger setup.
I can sync it to Maschine or my DAW while using it to sequence other bits of hardware. Was great driving the Erebus before I swapped that for a BS2.
No way I'd get rid of Circuit now!

Back