Started To build my first PC for music production and video

Fyer

Hi guys

Ive been getting some really good advice from everyone round here and I think I'm gonna try and build my own PC. Th reason being that it would be nice to have a comp that I can manually upgrade whenever I feel rather than being tied to buying a new one.

i haven't got far but this is what I've come up with.

Intel Xeon E3-1270 V3 - System Build - PCPartPicker Australia

i haven't chosen a case yet as I want one that is quiet, mid-tower but looks pretty cool.

im also a bit confused regarding audio interfaces. Can these be put on the motherboard, inside the case, or do they have to be external?

any advice would be great as I've given myself 3 weeks to plan before I buy anything.

so interfaces can be of four types

built-in (part of the mobo)
card slot (with or without internal break-out box)
card slot with an external break-out box
external

in my experience unless you are trying to save money forget the mobo efforts

the other three all have merit; pick and choose to suit your process and budget

on the case make sure it can fit the form factor of the mobo and has enough slots for the cards the mobo has

your psu should be spec'd at 800W, so that you have sufficient grunt to provide power for cards and the various USB busses it has

so interfaces can be of four types

built-in (part of the mobo)
card slot (with or without internal break-out box)
card slot with an external break-out box
external

in my experience unless you are trying to save money forget the mobo efforts

the other three all have merit; pick and choose to suit your process and budget

on the case make sure it can fit the form factor of the mobo and has enough slots for the cards the mobo has

your psu should be spec'd at 800W, so that you have sufficient grunt to provide power for cards and the various USB busses it has

Thanks mate

i think I've found a decent Psu, it's by sea..something and it's 800w gold.

Regarding the motherboard, do you think I'm spending too much or too little? Could you suggest one?

Seasonic gold X series? That's a pretty good one yeah, that's an A listed PSU. Same as I have in my pc. 850 (seasonic x series is 750 or 850) is a lot though, but hey, it'll definitely run everything you throw at it. (CBA to calculate what you exactly need. There's websites that'll calculate it for ya. As I said, with 850, you're in the sure for running everything you throw at it, and then some :P) .

Last edited:
Thanks guys

So far I'm yet to choose and video card or soundcard; this is where I'm a bit confused.

i saw somewhere that I won't need either due to my i7 chip? I'm a bit lost but even with an audio interface , won't I need a soundcard? Most of my recording is being done through a midi keyboard ( for the moment) so surely I'd need something?

i7 chip does not impact your need for video or audio cards, it may mitigate not having them and using the MOBO versions but it won't be the same

best nvidia video card you can afford

sound card - do you have an external audio interface already? if so no need for one at all, otherwise look and compare carefully for internal vs external

also have a look here http://www.centrecom.com.au/ always have deals going and are good to deal with

Last edited:
If you want to use the internal, your motherboard needs to have it integrated and it'll use the cpu power to do graphical calculations. Those are not bad nowadays. But, they pretty much come only with one connector so hooking up multiple monitors is gonna be impossible through the internal graph card. If you do have an I7 for instance ,you can pretty much run your DAW and windows, no problem. The higher segment of the I5s will probably do the same.
You can pretty much buy a cheap video card though. The best you can afford, could mean you gonna end up with a high end card. Which is not needed if you only run your DAW. Depending on how many monitors (screens) you want to run at what resolutions, if you want to play high end games, you can determine what card your gonna buy.
Anyway, you could suffice with a card for about 50 bucks, to whatever you want to spend.

I own a pc and i find that macs of a lesser spec are a hell of a lot faster and efficient . I would build one with hackintosh compatability and dual boot mac osx if i made my build now .

Back