Soundcard/audio interface???

j0110268

do i need one??? (using maschine, midi keys and pro tools 11)

will it improve my actual audio quality or will it just improve my personal listening experience?

what is your computer processor?
processor speed?
ram?
mobo?
hdd?

you left a lot of stuff out so hard to give genuine non-bs answers to your questions

ok hypothetically lets say 8gb ram, quad core i7, and a nice SDD.
im uprading soon. gotta love tax season!

but on second thought.. im running a 5 year old duo core. 2gb ram dell inspriron.. if i got a soundcar would that fix my glitch problem when i have alot of tracks/effects going? or would i be better off just getting a new pc

ram would do better to fix those issues (glitching)

remember that the audio quality of anything that you send to a website or a cd burner is determined by the daw alone and not the soundcard or any other device on your computer - as the audio file is generated as a series of 1's and 0's by your daw at rendering time

the soundcard makes it easier to bring sounds in and send sounds to speakers but not much else

They actually take a decent load off of your CPU. I use Maschine also and if I have a big project in Maschine and the CPU meter is from about 50% to 75%, then my sound will be all glitchy and the meter will be like all the way up. It's something to consider. If you ever get monitors or want to record something then you need one.

strangely, I disagree with this: a soundcard/interface does not affect overall cpu load as that will be more to do with loaded audio and plug-ins in your daw than audio buffers - the cpu will still have to process the sound sent to the buffers, unless you are referring to some of the higher end daw/interface solutions that use a dedicated soundcard for all audio processing (not something in most peoples budget bracket)

Back