Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I use what I can afford

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • it's for software. What's in my box would

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Griffin Avid

Media Editor
Time be a 'changin. Studios don't look like they used to and you can do more in the box than you can do with a bunch of boxes.
I once joked that a studio pic, which used to be a keyboard workstation and an MPC was going to be a PC and a MIDI controller.
That time has arrived. So anyone still care about gear like that -- enough to hoard?

Does anyone still think "When I make it big, I'm gonna get...."

Here's a video about just that.

Are you
A) I love gear, have been collecting and will continue getting pieces. Gear Lust, baby
B) Prefer a minimal set up to all the clutter and sometimes think less leads to more creativity.
C) I use what I can afford, and yeah, someday I'm gonna splurge.
D) I have gear lust heavy, but it's for software. What's in my box would make you pass out.

recently stumbled across the Midas Venice U series of consoles my next serious purchase if I get a choice

though long term goal is to get some high end converters and use them instead of dealing with much lower end interfaces: serious gear and serious money, but it is what it is.....

@boom bap dame: How is that possible?
So you want a few CLASSIC PIECES?

I feel like maybe you are after a traditional/original/early sound and that makes you choose the EXACT pieces that were in use.
Which mean you are lusting after them and willing to spend whatever (within reason) to get them, but now you rockin with what you got.

Am I close?

@boom bap dame: How is that possible?
So you want a few CLASSIC PIECES?

I feel like maybe you are after a traditional/original/early sound and that makes you choose the EXACT pieces that were in use.
Which mean you are lusting after them and willing to spend whatever (within reason) to get them, but now you rockin with what you got.

Am I close?

Yes you are.

Surely Gear Lust will never die, it's part of the love of audio! I'm definitely A, with some logic attached :) My personal soft spot is hardware compressors.

Realistically it can be dangerous... I've made a few impulse purchases I've regretted over the years. However if you keep it limited to pieces of equipment that you have experience with, that are game changing, and will give you a monetary return in terms of business then its's fine!

Good advice: Try to buy good condition 2nd hand rather than new, as if you buy new then it's worth the 2nd hand price the next day!

if you buy new then it's worth the 2nd hand price the next day

Yeah, once you walk out the store, it's real used.
The downside of electronics purchases.

It comes and goes, but I've acquired one of everything I need and upgraded every part of my signal chain a couple times so I'm more than satisfied and have room to grow.
My only issue is eBay - vintage pres, racks, and mics. If the auction is going for under $50 I'm bidding lol.

I used to buy anything and everything i could get my hands on but now i'm just comfortable with a few pieces so that's what i use.
Early next year when i rebuild and get a new spot there are some things i'll add but the MPC will be my workhorse,a few keyboards and the Avid S6 will be my main setup.
Peace

I think I just satisfied mine

for a little while

10724690_706730966061662_1966076539_n.jpg

So wait, you just added the Moog joint AND the analog rytm??!!!!!

What beastly sound are you trying to achieve?
That's a killer pairing.

You sure you're allowed to do that?

Yeah :D

I basically wanted a super flexible mono synth & well...a super flexible analog drum machine. The other choices would've been the DSI Pro2 & Tempest, both of which felt a bit too gimmicky vs. the hands-on-ness of these two. And since I had the money...why not. They both sound amazing and are extremely fun to play with (although having not had any of the Elektron devices before, it takes a while to get into the mindset/workflow with the Rytm). What beastly sound will follow will remain to be seen :)

Having gone from lots of just hardware, to just a few pieces of hardware, to a mix of both select pieces in hardware and software, to lots of just software, to just a few pieces of software, I have always worked best with a minimal set-up.

My god, a blast from the past!
This guy?!
How have you been?

PM's the better idea., but yeah....seeing the hardware sections grow quiet....

Back