Shure SM7B smokes my Audio Technica AT4060

CG Kid

To start this off I have no acoustic treatment and don't have the space to build acoustic treatment.

I used a AT4060 to a Focusrite ISA One to a Focusrite Forte for about a year and a half with no acoustic treatment.

I decided to get a Shure SM7B, from what I understand and read, the dynamic style microphone should perform much better in my given environment...

Whoever said that was right! I never recorded in a acoustic treated environment so it was hard to understand just how much it was hindering my mixing, when I side by side compared the AT4060 to the SM7B it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Sonically I find the AT4060 just a little bit better, but I can hear the vocals being saturated by ambient noise which makes it not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the SM7B. What I get out of the SM7B is excellent sonics and much more clarity!

Moral of this story - Don't underestimate acoustics, if you can't REALLY treat a environment I recommend avoiding a condenser mic.

Right. They are both great mikes; shining best in their appropriate application.

As to "not being able to afford acoustic treatment construction," could you consider an investment in a reflection filter and thick blanket to throw over your head when tracking vocals?

GJ

i agree they are both great mics, audio technica are incredibly under-rated! how about acoustically treating your room with some acoustic foam? you can get a great result from them and they are very cheap.

You don't really build acoustic treatment, you place it you build boothes treatment hangs from the wall or ceiling you will be surprised on the difference a matress, couch cushions and blankets make. You now have a very good start to a mic locker treating your area the best you can will improve recordings from both mins. As the sm7 sounds better the harder you push it but the harder you push it the more of your room it picks up. Foam never have me the results I was looking for but it is a little better than nothing. Best of luck to you!

You certainly can build acoustic treatment. Nonetheless, any acoustic treatment is better than none, I suppose.

You certainly can build acoustic treatment. Nonetheless, any acoustic treatment is better than none, I suppose.

Do you build acoustic treatment or do you build bass traps and broadband panel absorbers to get acoustic treatment? The funny thing is that my comment was meant to be more in line with your thinking as I was responding to OP not having space for treatment but having space to record in.

Back