Should I buy this computer?

Whiteglass

I currently have a Toshiba laptop from 2010, this crappy old machine: Toshiba Satellite L655-S5096 Review & Rating | PCMag.com. The battery is terrible, the audio jack half-broken, and when I open up a VST in FL Studio it crashes.

I would like to get a desktop, and I really would like a Mac, specifically to be able to use Logic Pro. Unfortunately, I can't afford an iMac. I was looking at the Mac Mini, the lowest-priced version ($599).

Do you think this is worth it? Would it be a big step up in performance?

Danke.

guideline for computers as of 2011-2013:
nothing below an i3 or an amd phenom x4 clocked at no less than 2ghz.
nothing below an amd radeon 4350.
no single cores period.
nothing with less than 4gb of ram.
nothing with less than 512mb of dedicated video memory.
nothing without asio4all/opengl driver compatibility.
5400rpm HDD is decent but if a better one's available go ahead.
4000maH battery minimum.

Last edited:
where does this come from? you need to give a link or credit the original source in some way

ps according to this list I am seriously lacking in computing power (3.5gb ram, P4HT, no battery (it's a tower;)))

but I know this is not true as my machine still outperforms many a new mac or pc tower or laptop simply because I have tuned and tweaked it long and hard to get it to be the best it can be (Oh, and I'm still using XP Pro SP3)

where does this come from? you need to give a link or credit the original source in some way

ps according to this list I am seriously lacking in computing power (3.5gb ram, P4HT, no battery (it's a tower;)))

but I know this is not true as my machine still outperforms many a new mac or pc tower or laptop simply because I have tuned and tweaked it long and hard to get it to be the best it can be (Oh, and I'm still using XP Pro SP3)

Any advice on my question?

I had to give up my old PC(similar specs). Just got tired of it not meeting newer software's system requirements. But it was more stable for what I used it for than any other PC I got. XP is definitely a factor. I have a new Dell touchscreen laptop(know nothing of the specs, it's for the family, not me)but pretty much the top line one, it seems to react funnier to certain things than my old P4(2.8ghz) 3gb Ram studio computer. It's in my daughter's room now and moves faster than her netbook.

I still get on there from time to time to play around in FL Studio, no hiccups, glitches, but now it's on the internet so it acts funny when updating. All off subject rambling BTW.

I currently have a Toshiba laptop from 2010, this crappy old machine: Toshiba Satellite L655-S5096 Review & Rating | PCMag.com. The battery is terrible, the audio jack half-broken, and when I open up a VST in FL Studio it crashes.

I would like to get a desktop, and I really would like a Mac, specifically to be able to use Logic Pro. Unfortunately, I can't afford an iMac. I was looking at the Mac Mini, the lowest-priced version ($599).

Do you think this is worth it? Would it be a big step up in performance?

Danke.

That Toshiba should handle production, may need to be cleaned, but in the your price range you could do better spec wise. $500-600 can get you a pretty powerful laptop or desktop PC probably something at least 30% faster than the Mac Mini. However, new Mac Minis are more powerful than the last generation of dual core Mac pros to put that in perspective. They're faster than the iMac I'm using, and i can run anything I want no problem. If anything adding Ram later will turn it to a supercomputer.

Last edited:
im pretty sure most 400 dollar machines can outdo that list.
radeon 4350 is old as hell and isnt even a gaming card :p
4gb of ram is standard but mostly uses 3.5 as the real amount like flashdrives tend to do.
2ghz processor is easily obtainable now in that price range even for laptops.
4000mah battrey is an average, most machine that use batteries have either this amount or more.

in the range of 400-600 the best already built machine would be from these companies:
asus is good above 400 bucks.
toshiba is good above 400 bucks.
lenovo is good above 300 bucks.(actually really good)
acer(eh...scared to buy one of those becaus eof reviews)
1000 dollar macs can do good if you find the right ones.

Last edited:
Back