Is this setup reasonable, and if not any recommendations?

meat-tree

I understand that in this industry you get what you paid for, so for a ~1500 dollar budget is this ok?

Audio interface---mbox with pro tools($500.00)
studio monitors---any recommendations
headphones---audio-Technica ATH-M50($139.00)
microphone---rode nt2a($400.00)
midi keyboard---m-audio keystation 88 keyboard($200.00)

please note that I have not decided what speakers I want...feel free to recommend some as long as they are in the $200 range

thanks

Just saw an ad today for M-Audio BX-8's for $149.00 each. You can get an NI interface for $249.00. Get REAPER as your DAW. It's basically free($60.00 licensing fee) and will do everything that PT's will. It also has plenty of support within the recording community.

I understand that in this industry you get what you paid for, so for a ~1500 dollar budget is this ok?

Audio interface---mbox with pro tools($500.00)
studio monitors---any recommendations
headphones---audio-Technica ATH-M50($139.00)
microphone---rode nt2a($400.00)
midi keyboard---m-audio keystation 88 keyboard($200.00)

please note that I have not decided what speakers I want...feel free to recommend some as long as they are in the $200 range

thanks

I wouldn't mind putting a basic music production shopping cart that can expand as your experience level grows, freeing you from limitations. From this list it looks like you want to record vocals and make beats, accurate?

Last edited:
response to ProducerJC

I wouldn't mind putting a basic music production shopping cart that can expand as your experience level grows, freeing you from limitations. From this list it looks like you want to record vocals and make beats, accurate?

yes, I play saxophone, piano and sing therefore. I've always searched for backing tracks and most custom made ones cost a lot!! Therefore I want to make backing tracks for myself and to a bit of recording as well. So to answer your question...yes.

yes, I play saxophone, piano and sing therefore. I've always searched for backing tracks and most custom made ones cost a lot!! Therefore I want to make backing tracks for myself and to a bit of recording as well. So to answer your question...yes.
Okay, I can send you a customized quote, are your particular to Protools? Is that why you want the MBOX? Also, what are your stage performance plans? Will you be using the backing tracks live?

Last edited:
yes I do prefer pro tools and the mbox since it comes with pro tools, and yes I will be using the backing track live

Back