Yamaha SU700 with SCSI CD-RW drive

jbotz05

Does anyone know how to get a Yamaha SU700 to recognize an external SCSI CD-RW drive? It can recognize a SCSI zip drive easily but I just can't get it to recognize a CD-RW drive. The CD-RW drive is a Yamaha so you figure the SU700 should be able to read from it easily; it's buggin' the **** out of me.

What kind of CD are we talking about here? There is no SU700 format CD. I'm aware that the SU700 can load AIFF files, so if it's a CD with that kind of data on it, it might be able to but you'd probably have to burn as ISO 9660.

Try checking the SCSI ID of the CD-ROM. It may be in conflict with either the SU700 itself or something else in the SCSI chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigRyan said:
What kind of CD are we talking about here? There is no SU700 format CD. I'm aware that the SU700 can load AIFF files, so if it's a CD with that kind of data on it, it might be able to but you'd probably have to burn as ISO 9660.

Try checking the SCSI ID of the CD-ROM. It may be in conflict with either the SU700 itself or something else in the SCSI chain.

It's good to hear from a fellow Torontonian. Anyway, i'm trying to get it to import AIFF files from a CD. I didn't think about burning the cd as ISO 9660 so i'll definately give that a try. As for the SCSI ID in relation to the SU700, they're both set at 5 and I tried it with the termination set off and on so I don't think there should be a problem with that.

jbotz05 said:
It's good to hear from a fellow Torontonian. Anyway, i'm trying to get it to import AIFF files from a CD. I didn't think about burning the cd as ISO 9660 so i'll definately give that a try. As for the SCSI ID in relation to the SU700, they're both set at 5 and I tried it with the termination set off and on so I don't think there should be a problem with that.

Actually that might be the problem. No two SCSI devices on the same chain should have the same ID.

Try ID 7 or 0 for the SU700 leaving the CD drive as is. The SU700 should have its termination on (which I think it does anyway?). The CD drive should also be terminated as it is at the end of the chain.

Also, in ISO 9660 I'm pretty sure it uses the old DOS 8.3 file naming convention. So "Kick drum 003.aiff" will have to be changed to "kickdr03.aif" and so on (your CD burning software may auto-rename files, with disastrous results).

What part of Toronto?

Last edited by a moderator:
BigRyan said:
Actually that might be the problem. No two SCSI devices on the same chain should have the same ID.

Try ID 7 or 0 for the SU700 leaving the CD drive as is. The SU700 should have its termination on (which I think it does anyway?). The CD drive should also be terminated as it is at the end of the chain.

Also, in ISO 9660 I'm pretty sure it uses the old DOS 8.3 file naming convention. So "Kick drum 003.aiff" will have to be changed to "kickdr03.aif" and so on (your CD burning software may auto-rename files, with disastrous results).

What part of Toronto?

OK i'll give that a try; thanks for the advice, very much appreciated I'm located in East York, how 'bout yourself?

Don Mills/Sheppard at the moment, but in a month I'll be downtown.

Back