Why do you people prefer MPC's SP's etc to DAWs?

I replaced my MPC 2000xl with a post-akai mpc 2500 and I didn't see any drastic difference. The 2k's were slightly softer and more sensitive, but I think that had more to do with them being like 15 years old.

The pads on the MPK49 are not so great, they can be modified to have better contact with the pad sensors (if you want to open up the keyboard and do such a mod) but in general the pads on the MPK suck compared to controllers like the Pad Kontrol by Korg, and definitely dont hold up against the MPC. I think the best part of the MPK series is that its class compliant, meaning no drivers necessary. This makes it much more appealing to use versus things like the Novation Remote/Nocturn etc.

thanks for your opinion. I've actually been looking at the korg pad kontrol. It's in my price range. I just couldn't see myself buying an MPC for 1000 +. dealing with the situation that I am in the cost of the MPC is higher than the value that I would actually get out of it.

I really just wanted to do drums and maybe get into some sampling. I do have an akai xr 20. pretty good just can't do as much.

Yes I read the answer. The point that I was making was that in the two clips there is a little different feel....if you can't hear it, either you are lying or deaf.
Yes, the two clips sound different. The point is that both clips were made with Maschine and almost everyone commenting on that page assumed that the louder clip was made with hardware, confirming the widespread myth about the sound of hardware/software.

I think that test further proves that point that the use has control over the sound at the end of the day. Stop relying solely on the tools to provide you with your desired sound.

I am going to just say..use what ya like, it is futile to continue to debate tools. :cheers:

Personally, I like both MPC and Maschine. I have been debating getting Maschine, and still may do it. There are certain attributes I like about it. In the end, i use what works for me. By no means will I say that I am constrained by my tools, just that everyone has their preferences. I think that softsynths have come along way and are very comparable to hardware. The only thing that I think still may have a better sound is Analog, and even VA sounds good. I have Analog, and VA in my lab, and VA sounds pretty good, but if you do a direct A/B, i think Analog wins in certain categories.

I use hardware, because I already have it. If i was starting out, I would possibly go software, and i still am slowing moving towards the soft side. For me right now, a hybrid of hardware and software is ideal. I enjoy just turning on my Motif and playing/practicing without having to turn on the computer, launch programs, etc. On the other hand, i also enjoy the flexibility or DAWs with editing.

I aint even going to explain the differences between analog, digital and electric or electronic music and sounds. I think computer geeks get a little too pumped up with pride that cause and effect with the use of a clicking mouse is so seemingly varied. using a click wheel is much more precise than a mouseclick away and ALSO more importantly tends to rely on the operators ears to make a sample fit as opposed to using the eyes to "make a sound"????! who makes a dope beat with finger tips and eyes? DAW's are for intensive sound sculpting and hardware is for artistic expression. FL is like Totem Pole carving or marble statue polishing. ACID and protools are better for making something uniquely "live" sounding. because of the invention of samplers human ears can distinguish between live and electronic music better yet I do enjoy audio illusion capability. If you think there's a limit to Harware compared to software or vice versa there is always going to be that. somepeople paint with their fingers or one hand behind their back. (I have a Synthesizer and use Acid and Protools depending on how "Clean" i want the sound and am still looking to recover my sold MPC1000 at cost of sale <300 cus it's worth THAT much) some horn players really blow.

Back