Why do you people prefer MPC's SP's etc to DAWs?

I recently acquired a mpc 5000 for free.... :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

I have it down now to the point where its just like an extention of my body, im very comfortable with it.. But comparing it to DAW's like FL studio, I feel like it's nowhere near the capability of a DAW with a good handful of plug-ins.. I have to admit, the analog sound it's self is really nice.. there is just some warmth there, everything sounds more "glued" together I don't have to try and simulate this with plug-ins in FL.

The only huge advantage I see with an MPC 5k, is the ability to bounce from record mode into chopping really fast and easy, but chopping is a much more meticulous process with the sliders and wheel.. it's so much better to look at a waveform on a 25 inch monitor and simply click where i want to lay my chops then drag them into fpc or battery.

Another thing too.. with samplers like this one, it seems like there is a set way of doing things.. with FL studio I chop in the most weird ****ed up methods it is soooo much more flexible.. not to mention this ****ing thing crashes 24 7..

Have you tried any other machines besides the 5000? All hardware is not the same but as far as I know the latest OS for the 5k is very stable though not owning one I haven't tried that. I do not have those issues with hardware for me it just makes sense to use a hardware sampler though I use both. And how does your mpc sound analog its digital? Are you sure what an analog sound is lol.

Ah, you're right.. idk what I was thinking about the analog. .BUT.. what I meant was I can take the exact same arrangement of drums/sample/etc and on FL it just sounds like there is more empty space.. there is more cohesion on the MP.. maybe this is just my mind ****ing w/ me but god damnit it sounds better..

And the OS IS stable if you have the ram upgrade.. the second I start stretching/pitching too much and going out of control it just freezes and goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepp and i have to shut it off. And no, I haven't tried any other machines besides the 5k.. I mean, i like the workflow, and I want to like it more, but I think people (akai fanboys) really glorify the shit out of these little boxes.. It is pretty fun though

Most akai fanboys hate the newer (numark 2500, 500, 5000 and black 1000) mpcs. Personally I think mpcs are great sequencers and drum machines but outside of that I really prefer the Ensoniqs for chopping and manipulating samples. A lot of people back in the day used to use the eps or an asr10 with their mpc Kanye West still does. Anyway I think the mpcs do have a better put together sound that i cannot place as to why. My 2000 just sounds great and software can too but u gotta know how to make it sound great.

I ve started making beats with fruity loops and it was great, easy to learn and you can achieve or emulate any sound of any drum machine or any hardware for that matter with enough knowledge , the only thing i didnt enjoy is sitting still at one spot and just "click" the beat together with one finger and a mouse plus my eyes would get sore looking at the screen for 4-5 hours. I wanted to record drums and samples live so I got midi keyboard and trigger finger but the whole process of assigning pads, messing with samples even though fpc is great little plugin I just didnt enjoy the workflow so copped 1000 and absolutly love it. I guess my point is if you dont enjoy putting shit together on mpc use DAW, because everything mpc can do, most of the DAWs can do and more.

Yea exactly... The workflow of FL gets so tedious.. i love the fact that i can actually stand up and make beats with my mpc and ttable but i just wish mpc's could do more..... i cant believe you can only have 4 mixer channels active at a time on the mpc 5000..
on FL sometimes I have like 8 effects on one sound lmao

Never used an MP...Even though I want a 2000XL. I'm starting to think I will just rock a MPD though. But, Maschine was nice. If I had that+Live I think I would be set. I do agree that FL doesn't sound the best. I swear to the gods that Maschine sounded better than FL and both are software.

i agree i think the mpc is better hands down just because its physical and you can actually feel your beats being thumped out

I can do that with reason and my mpk though. I have lots of hardware including a mpc also. Its all about the same

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

i agree i think the mpc is better hands down just because its physical and you can actually feel your beats being thumped out

I can do that with reason and my mpk though. I have lots of hardware including a mpc also. Its all about the same

yea. there is a difference in sound between an mpc 5k and fl studio.. was like the first thing i noticed when i got the thing

thats more likely due to your audio interface or lack of one. As FL doesn't have a real sound of its own. Here is an example of what I mean here are 4 beats I have made. One of them is off my Ensoniq EPS classic, Another off my S3000, One is from Reason/Record and the other is made off my mpc 2000 can you hear the difference to tell me what is what?

SoundClick artist: KevWestBeats - Home of the $1 Bangers!

All of these beats have the exact same signal chain turntable needle and drum sounds.

The ultimate goal of sampler design has always been about creating realistic sounding string instruments etc with accurate sound reproduction, it's something that continues today with software samplers, it's something that older hardware samplers were not so great at and it's what makes them so good.

The ultimate goal of sampler design has always been about creating realistic sounding string instruments etc with accurate sound reproduction, it's something that continues today with software samplers, it's something that older hardware samplers were not so great at and it's what makes them so good.
I think at one point that was the goal but after people realized what they were good at they tended to focus on that which is why you have so many samplers with features like auto chop. I feel samplers like the mpc series was a direct response to what samplers were always good at/for.

I think that some people prefer making beats on MPC's and mixing those with software. There something to be said for whipping out an MPC and making a quick buck. I've learned that it's most important to always be able to make beats. Even when your computer crashes; maybe that's why people prefer MPC's and such to pure DAW.

I think at one point that was the goal but after people realized what they were good at they tended to focus on that which is why you have so many samplers with features like auto chop. I feel samplers like the mpc series was a direct response to what samplers were always good at/for.

I was talking in terms of sound quality, like Kontakt is made to reproduce string instruments as accurately as possible while an old sampler will color the sound.

Features are added on top of what the sampler already sounds like, for example I can autochop my Akai S950 samples and they will still have the S950 sound, just like if I autochop in Kontakt it will still sound like a dental surgery smells.

Back