Why do you people prefer MPC's SP's etc to DAWs?

stupid s950 wont ever sound like kontakt ur crazy

I never said the S950 would sound like Kontakt, that's my whole point.

If you sampled something from Kontakt into the S950 it ends up with an S950 sound.
If you sampled something from the S950 into Kontakt it ends up with an S950 sound.

Yea exactly... The workflow of FL gets so tedious.. i love the fact that i can actually stand up and make beats with my mpc and ttable but i just wish mpc's could do more..... i cant believe you can only have 4 mixer channels active at a time on the mpc 5000..
on FL sometimes I have like 8 effects on one sound lmao
Sounds like you should try Maschine. It's the best of both worlds because you have the power of software that is fully integrated with the dedicated controller that gives you a hardware feel and workflow. I've completely replaced both MPC and Ableton Live with Maschine as my main production tool as have many others so that should tell you something.

re

I dont think an mpc and a daw are really comparable. i prefer to have both for dif needs. i wouldnt mix in mpcs personally.

Cookin up a beat on a mpc/maschine type hardware is the best you feel like your playing an instrument, making music with a mouse is boring

I've used FL Studio all the time from day one after started making music so I don't really know how I'd manage with only MPC or something but I'd love to have it, been thinking about buying one. Though I've used Korg TR as a workstation as well for a short time. Of course when youre making beats by hitting with your fingers and doing everything "live" so you feel more like your making music.

PS. If anyone is playing melodies on their beats with mouse and just clicking so stop it now and buy a keyboard and play them yourself, lol.

I own an MPC 2500 but I would rather work like this:

For me its the best of both worlds cause I got the hands on feel of a drum machine, without having move as slowly as you do on the MPC. Alot of MPC users dont realize how much they have to STOP the sequencer in order to edit and change different settings for samples/sounds, sequences. With Maschine and a DAW you dont have to press STOP in order to change parameter settings, so its a much more fluid workflow.

I own an MPC 2500 but I would rather work like this:

For me its the best of both worlds cause I got the hands on feel of a drum machine, without having move as slowly as you do on the MPC. Alot of MPC users dont realize how much they have to STOP the sequencer in order to edit and change different settings for samples/sounds, sequences. With Maschine and a DAW you dont have to press STOP in order to change parameter settings, so its a much more fluid workflow.

U mean like let the sequence play as u pick new sounds? Am I really the only guy who does that anyway? I always have

Naw you arent the only one that does that, I start out with basic drums to get a groove going, and then add instruments to create a melody, but then i usually add or change the drum sounds until I got a perfect lock sonically. I dont like having to stop the sequencer to browse, load, audition and assign new sounds. Thats why its so hard for me to go back to the MPC, cause before, whatever drums I started with is what I would end up with on the final result, and they werent always the ideal drums. When drum replacement softwares started showing up, it made things a little more flexible for me, but Maschine is like using an MPC+ Drum Replacement program all in one.

I hear that. I rarely change my drum sounds because most of my stuff revolves around the drums anyway. Are you layering your drums still these days?

Yeah I definitely layer my snares/claps. Kicks are a different thing, it gets really tricky and I prefer to use find a solid kick to avoid phase issues.

Thats the issue Ive been bumping into lately and then to fix it Ive been low pass filtering but I think finding better drums may be a better solution just wanted to make sure i wasn't the weirdo there lol. Probably would help if I didn't layer 12 kicks and 15 snares just to filter them later also lol

So true. One of the many reasons I could never go back to MPCs. Maschine has truly spoiled me. LOL

Plus, Maschine does so much more than just replace the MPC. It's also like having a hardware workstation and Machinedrum/Electribe style x0x step sequencer all-in-one as well, not to mention now being able to host VST/AU plugins. It's nuts.

I don't prefer samplers over daws. I use them in conjunction w/ my Daw. It's a hybrid world, get with the times.

I generally use a daw, but I use the MPC whenever I need to go on stage or travel. A laptop, audio interface, and midi controller are a lot to haul around, plus none of them are durable enough to survive usage outside of the studio.

A laptop, audio interface, and midi controller are a lot to haul around, plus none of them are durable enough to survive usage outside of the studio.
LOL Maybe you should tell these guys then:

and the majority of live electronic music performers who do exactly that.

gotta hope you don't drop anything.
It's much more likely to get unrepairable damage from dropping heavy proprietary hardware like MPCs, especially for models that no longer have replacements parts. This will continue to be the case as Numark keeps phasing out all MPCs. If you have some irrational fear of dropping equipment it's probably better to stay in your bedroom studio.

Beeing the owner of some hardware samplers(MPC1000 included) plus a member in a band that mixes punk rock and hiphop I can tell that my preferance still goes on a DAW. But on the other hand, its whatever fits for anyone. The only bad thing I find in DAWs in general is that with computers you first SEE music, other than just hear it. So you have to train yourself not to act on that base.

It's much more likely to get unrepairable damage from dropping heavy proprietary hardware like MPCs

And a laptop is not a piece of unrepairable proprietary hardware that has parts that are difficult to acquire?

I'm not going to get in a big argument with you about it, I'll just say that my MPC 2k was beaten to pieces over the years and never had any problems, while my laptop fell less than a foot of it's stand during a dj gig and I had to buy another one and cut my gig short.

I prefer both. I like my hardware, but i like the ease of editing in a DAW.

Back