Whats the difference between sampling in a asr 1o and a mpc or machine?

dmajor100

i had Maschine which i recently sold just to keep me away from sampling for the time being to focus on composing and my piano practice. I now have a mic 4000 which does get use but i find the sampling kinda confusing and kinda limiting compared to machine but not to sure if this will be my go to machine for sampling. Now if seen people go on about how good the asr 10 sounds and sure theres some truth to it but I'm interested in its sampling abilities. Does the asr 10 have a non destructive sampling abilities and who is the process of creating synth patches in this board. I never was able to understand if the mic or maschinr was able to chop more than 16 samples and use then seamlessly in a pattern. The asr 10 looks as if you can chop 61 samples and assign it to each key on your board and be able to play them all and not switch from bank to bank like a mpc. Any users out there that can shed some light on this topic for me?

chromatic sampling is possible. As far as non-destructive goes, that sort of depends. The loading time on the ASR is not the fastest in the world and rather than a click of a mouse, its a hd load away to bring back the original sound and as far as I'm aware, you can truncate or edit from the ROM using a sort of region function but that way, you're gonna run out of space a bit quicker if you want all 61 notes to be different ROM sounds.

The ASR and MPC range is legendary but it seems like you're looking for the wrong thing in them. The MPC 4000 is well equipped.

If you want something without limits, you're looking at something like a Kyma Paca or Open Labs Miko but then you're basically using a computer and you lose the charm of the Ensoniq and Akai sound.

You need to make your mind up and these two extremes, because you're looking for something you have already in something which doesn't have it.

There are other things you can use to get the sound you want with samples. MPC, ASR-10 and Maschine sounds like a dream. For capability you have the Maschine and then you have the colour boxes. Whether that means more samplers or an analog mixer and tube/valve outboard gear.

Don't forget a good MIDI controller or digital piano if you want to bring the piano into play.

Well i guess im looking for a sampler That i can get more than 16 chops with and use. I know ya can do this with a mpc but it would i would need to be using more than one bank. But i..thought the asr did kinda non destructive since you would duplicate your sample to the next key and can continously edit the start and end points On all your chops without using memory. I did watch tutorials and there seemed to be alot of menu diving and button pushing but for comfartable users they were fast AT it. Im not sure if ya can globally pitch all the samples or even timestrech

That does sound familiar. You can spread a sample over all the keys using just one ROM sound, yeah.

(By the way, I'm using an ASR x-pro)

You can build a bank that way and have a drum break on so many keys and then whatever else on the rest. But remember, the thing which is making this possible is the keyboard. If you plug a MIDI keyboard into one of these boxes, guess what you have.

To globally pitch, you can copy and paste settings on the x-pro. Pretty sure you can't timestretch on any of the Ensoniq keyboards but you have that on the MPC 4000, don't you?

I bought an Akai s950 to do timestretching and eventually sold it and bought a Roland VP 9000 which will now take care of all my drum sampling. Its my MPC.

Well i guess im looking for a sampler That i can get more than 16 chops with and use. I know ya can do this with a mpc but it would i would need to be using more than one bank.

Chromatically assigning the pads on the MPC (starting with Pad 1 in Bank A to C0 to Pad 16 in Bank 4 to whatever the last key is on your keyboard is), you can chop 64 samples across the pad bank, connect a MIDI keyboard controller and use that to play though the samples without having to switch pad banks on the MPC.

On the asr you can chop as much as you need. You copy and chop without using additional memory by using the copy command then edit the copy without using extra memory. Peace be with you............Rob Mixx

I never knew any mpc had pad banks

Yes. The MPC60 & 60II provides you with 2 pad banks for a total of 32 accessible samples, the 4000 provides you 6 pad banks for a total of 96 accessible samples, while the rest of the MPCs (3000, 2000, 2000XL, 2500, 1000, 500) offer 4 pad banks for a total of 64 accessible samples. But this does not mean that you're limited to this number of sample chops loaded in the the MPC's memory; you can have loaded as much as the machine's RAM will allow, but you will only be able to access, though MIDI triggering, what's assigned to pads.

And also, what robmixx said is correct. The ARS allows you to set start and end points for the same sample (same wav file) on each key individually; "non-destructive chopping" (JJ OS2 and OS-XL for the MPC2500, and JJ OS2 and OS2XL for the MPC1000, also have this type of chopping feature, which will save you a lot of memory when chopping samples).

Back