What's The Best Studio Setup?

charlie88

Mad Magician
I've been posting numerous threads on what equipment I should buy for my studio, and because of the good advice I've been getting from these forums, I've settled on getting these few items to build my ideal studio setup:

1. Roland Fantom X (The workhorse where I lay down the foundations of my hip hop tracks--the deep, powerful melodies--and quickly tie em' up into tight compositions)

2. Roland MV 8800 (The workhorse where I easily swing out the heaviest drum patterns on the planet for my ready-made compostions)

3. Macintosh wth Logic (The ultimate sequencer where I upload both my melodies and drum patterns, add full rap vocals and extra effects, and sequence all the tracks into complete, heavy-hitting rap songs.)

Then I give the burned out CDs of my recorded songs to the copyright office, then to my mixing engineer friend, and finally to a mastering studio for the final product.:cool:

In anyone's opinion, is this studio setup grand for a hip-hop piano man whose relatively "hands-on" production is centered on original composition (as opposed to sampled compositon), or does it sound like overkill? Please feel free to criticize my desired setup or post thoughts about your own ideal studio gig. THANKS, friends!

imo the MV is much more powerful of a device than to be just used for a drum machine. If u just want a simple drum machine try it out it may work for u or try a mpc or even a sp1200.

only one synth?

maybe I'm obsessive but that doesen't seem like overkill to me

if you had about three Moogs and a Kurzweil on the list then you're getting there...

don't forget good monitors and Audio Interface, if you dont already have that covered. You are going to need to track out your beats from mv/fantom into logic.

And I would choose the keyboard and then get a mpc1k or just use the pads/keys to sequence drums on the board. Having a MV and fantom is kinda redundant unless you got deep pockets!!

It doesn't sound like you need a machine like an MV really. I don't think there is a downside to getting a machine that is "overkill" but you pay for it, and it's a big piece of gear. I'm a fan of the mpc series over the mv series though, plus, i would go with older equipment if it's really just a machine for drums and swing.

Monitors and an interface are as crucial as the gear you are using as it needs to sound right when you are done.

I'd add another synth, preferably analog, at the minimum for a bit of variety. You don't need to start with everything at once though obviously.

MV is overkill if your just using it for drums! Get a cheaper mpc like the 2000xl second hand or something. You will save a s***t load of money. Plus you can use the left over money for monitors!!!!!! - which are extremely important!!!

I'd go for it, but I would definitely encourage you to really dig into the MV once you get one.

People here are right, there's more you can do with it than just make drum patterns only.

I would totally use it to sample as well, regardless of original play or not, the best songs I've made were remixes of my own original music, made using mainly the MV as my remix workhorse.

Also, Logic is a good choice.

What were the remixes called?

Girls, Girls, Girls, and Mo Girls?

Maybe, Private Service Announcement?

Perhaps, Song NO Cry?

lvngdead said:
What were the remixes called?

Girls, Girls, Girls, and Mo Girls?

Maybe, Private Service Announcement?

Perhaps, Song NO Cry?

I'm obviously not going to comment on that, but just know that personal taste and what I think has been my best songs has little to do with commercial success.

Serious inquiry.

How many years were you making beats on your MPC 4000 before Killah Priest gave you $50,000 for beats?

THis has nothing to do with your identity.

You mean how long it took for me to be able to make beats good enough for anyone such as Priest to become interested in buying them?

It didn't took long for me to get noticed in the industry, but then again I'm from the older generation. Back then this world was a lot smaller.

You confirmed what I knew and now I will leave you alone. Two things before I go:

1) Props for being one of the better mainstream producers with your bangin drums.

2) Props for not selling out like kanye. That punk *****.

Agreed, let them figure it out. I totally agree though. I have always felt that your generation on our generation of producers have yet to make a impact like you have. Who new is there? I haven't heard anybody with such impact for quite awhile. Even kanye left his mpc seat.

If this who I think it is didn't he leave his mpc alone too? Everyone is leaving their mpcs. Long live Eps/Asr series wooo

Back