What the MV-8800 has that the MPC 5K doesn't

jahrome

Diamond Member
This is a very simple thread. I want to know what software features the MV-8800 has that the MPC 5000 doesn't.

So far, I have determined that the MV-8800 has these functions the 5K doesn't:

1. Keymap sampler
2. Audio tracks with BPM sync
3. Import Akai S1000/3000 files
4. Multi-band compression
5. 3-band EQ for each part and audio track

damn, no wonder I can never finish a beat. CAUSE THAT DAMN PORTAL KEEP TAKIN ME BACK TO THE START !!! ughhhh, another unnecessary peice of technology in a drum machine, getting in the way of my creativity.

lvngdead said:
damn, no wonder I can never finish a beat. CAUSE THAT DAMN PORTAL KEEP TAKIN ME BACK TO THE START !!! ughhhh, another unnecessary peice of technology in a drum machine, getting in the way of my creativity.
lol funny, im considering this

Audio tracks with BPM sync

MPC 5000 has audio tracks as well as 8 track streaming direct to disk recording. It doesn't have an EQ per track, but it does have a seperate filter on each, which to me is more useful. I don't want to start a debate or anything, which this thread reeks of flamewar fodder, so that's all I'll say.

10 Band Vocoder
Import any wav/aiff regardless or sample rate or bit depth
S-1000 library compatible
VGA
Color TFT screen
512MB standard memory - 1GB unofficially ....*128MB out of the box
* So far I haven't run into problems with the 1GB installed -KingstonPC133. It's kinda overkill even if you're doing long Audio Tracks.
Realtime Timestretch
Non MIDI Audio Phrase - 16 Banks
CD Burner
Pencil tool w/VGA
Full Mastering Suite w/Templates
Decent customer support
No bugs

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
10 Band Vocoder
Import any wav regardless or sample rate or bit depth
S-1000 library compatible
VGA
Color TFT screen
512MB standard memory....*128MB out of the box
Realtime Timestretching
Non MIDI Audi Phrase - 16 Banks
CD Burner
Decent customer support

There's more but the 5000 and MV are about which workflow works best.

Thanks for your input. However, this thread was taking about software features not hardware....and certainly not customer support. And the 5000 has a DVD Rom reader/CD burner.

After 4-5 years of being on the market with numerous OS updates, the MV should be bug free. The same will go with the MPC 5K I suspect.

moyphee said:
10 Band Vocoder
Import any wav/aiff regardless or sample rate or bit depth

Also...there is a reason for this thread. When writing about the machines, please be accurate. Your statement is not accurate at all. Next time you use an MPC 5000 try loading files of different sample rates or bit depth and report back here. You will be surprised :)

Last edited:
jahrome said:
And the 5000 has a DVD Rom reader/CD burner.
As a $200 option!

Your statement is not accurate at all. Next time you use an MPC 5000 try loading files of different sample rates or bit depth and report back here. You will be surprised :)
Perhaps i would be , but Akai doesn't state this claim anywhere in it's specs or manual. If it does this is a feature they certainly should publicly advertise.

Roland is poised to release another machine in 2009 bit Winter NAMM or Summer NAMM where they usually debut new sampler models. It should be interesting to see how things shape up being that the Linndrum 2 is still vapor and the 5000 is available. It's good for consumers all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
As a $200 option!

Perhaps i would be , but Akai doesn't state this claim anywhere in it's specs or manual. If it does this is a feature they certainly should publicly advertise.

Roland is poised to release another machine in 2009 bit Winter NAMM or Summer NAMM where they usually debut new sampler models. It should be interesting to see how things shape up being that the Linndrum 2 is still vapor and the 5000 is available. It's good for consumers all around.

This is a software based discussion. Lets not talk about hardware options....especially since Roland makes you pay over $300 for 8 analog outputs (which are standard on the 2500/5000) and to also give you access to the RBUS port. The RBUS port is technology no company wanted to use so Roland's answer is for you to spend another $300 to convert the RBUS digital signal to ADAT (so you can use it with modern equipment). ADAT is already standard on the 5K.

Back to software..I am not sure why Akai left the fact that the MPC can import samples at any sample rate/bit depth. I just assume because it is a feature that isn't a big deal..or maybe not. But the fact remains, it does. This is not an IF. This is something I know from actually using the MPC 5K.

It is long overdue for Roland to release a workstation since the MV was released over 5 years ago. But they still need to fix their current workstation, the Fantom G.

jahrome said:
This is a software based discussion. Lets not talk about hardware options....especially since Roland makes you pay over $300 for 8 analog outputs (which are standard on the 2500/5000) and to also give you access to the RBUS port. The RBUS port is technology no company wanted to use so Roland's answer is for you to spend another $300 to convert the RBUS digital signal to ADAT (so you can use it with modern equipment). ADAT is already standard on the 5K.
You're a funny guy... you start a thread and then think of some rules that make no sense. Why? Why should it be about software? Because the MV mostly has the MPC5k dominated when it comes to hardware?

If you'd really be interested in the MV, you would have gone to the shop, tried it... and probably bought one. Please stop starting these nonsense threads that only cause fanboy behavior that makes no sense at all.

Truth is, you seem to be looking for some kind of justification for your purchase of the MPC5k... because otherwise you would have left the whole comparison thing alone. Again, it makes no sense and only generates crap. There's enough crap on the internet already.

It is long overdue for Roland to release a workstation since the MV was released over 5 years ago. But they still need to fix their current workstation, the Fantom G.
What's up with this bash that makes no sense at all looking at the facts? It's not overdue, there's no such thing as overdue when a new version isn't announced. The latest firmware updates and also the latest gear are pretty much awesome. Sure there might be some bugs, but fixes those are a continues process, until it's pretty much bug-free ( like the MV-8800!!! ). Such things take a little bit of time, but really Akai has a worse name when it comes to nasty bugs, trust me.

Anyways, there will be a new MV (it's far too successful to just disappear now) and there also will be new Fantoms (same story)... in fact, Roland has been busy in other areas a lot recently. So it only makes sense that there's time between new versions of their main gear line. It's just like Akai has been looking more into midi controllers and not-so sampler-like gear.

In the end and this is what actually truly counts for actual artists... the gear that has been released by Roland never really had show-stopping bugs that prevented us from making music.

Think about that for a minute in comparison to the MPC5K release and it's bugs. Which you claim to not have had if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Bananasass said:
You're a funny guy... you start a thread and then think of some rules that make no sense. Why? Why should it be about software? Because the MV mostly has the MPC5k dominated when it comes to hardware?

If you'd really be interested in the MV, you would have gone to the shop, tried it... and probably bought one. Please stop starting these nonsense threads that only cause fanboy behavior that makes no sense at all.

The reason why threads have topics is to keep people on topic. Read the first post. We are talking software. For the record, I owned an MV but didn't like it. But that isn't the point here. Besides, the MV doesn't have better hardware.

This thread was created for people to write about the software functions that the MV has that the MPC 5K doesn't. Its a chance for Roland fan-boys to talk about their machine of choice. So if you actually own an MV, please contribute...by posting something that wasn't already posted.

Thanks.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
For the record, I owned an MV but didn't like it. But that isn't the point here.
You never ever had one. If people here would read a bit more often on the mvnation forums, they'd know by now.

Besides, the MV doesn't have better hardware.
Read what I said again. I said 'mostly' dominated. I never said 'has better hardware than'. You're generalizing and reading into my words too much.

This thread was created for people to write about the software functions that the MV has that the MPC 5K doesn't.

I know, I'm not blind, I can read too.

Its a chance for Roland fan-boys to talk about their machine of choice.
Didn't I just do that? That's what I meant with the nonsensical rules stuff.

Last edited:
Back