What the MV-8800 has that the MPC 5K doesn't

Trusty said:
jahrome, listen...who cares? Why keep this same conversation going for years and years and years... I hung it up years ago, you can too. Let other people hash it out. Move on.

Look, I am going to be honest, I really like the music on your myspace page. So why don't you (with whoever Nica is) make more good music instead of getting into pissing contests between MVs and MPCs... Your music is good, you should spend more time with that, seems like a better use of it, don't you think?

:cheers:

Nica is my daughter I told you about many years ago.

This particular thread wasn't about a pissing contest between which is better. I simply created a thread for MV users to write about their product instead of using the MPC 5K threads to do the same. Have you noticed there isn't one MPC5K user here defending their purchase here?

I have plenty of spare time which is the reason why I am here. Also, with Akai, Roger Linn/Dave Smith, and perhaps Roland all have MPC-type products currently or on the horizon, this is a perfect time for potential users/musicians to write about the features they want in a product. This is no different than any forum dedicated to music production software and equipment. If you can remember our conversations years ago or simply use the forum search function...you will see that most of the feature requests I wrote about years ago are now in the MPC 25000 JJ OS2 and the MPC5K. You ask who cares? Why do so many people write in these threads if they don't care?

Last edited:
jahrome said:
Have you noticed there isn't one MPC5K user here defending their purchase here?
To be fair there's not much more than one. You seem obsessed with proving that the 5000 is a god send.

This particular thread wasn't about a pissing contest between which is better. I simply created a thread for MV users to write about their product instead of using the MPC 5K threads to do the same.
dude....That would be the very definition of a pissing contest.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
jahrome said:
This is a very simple thread. I want to know what software features the MV-8800 has that the MPC 5000 doesn't.

So far, I have determined that the MV-8800 has these functions the 5K doesn't:

1. Keymap sampler
2. Audio tracks with BPM sync
3. Import Akai S1000/3000 files
4. Multi-band compression
5. 3-band EQ for each part and audio track

@moyphee
I had to post this again because you have obviously missed the point of this thread.

This is about MV features. Nothing more. Not a contest. This was an opportunity for you to express what you love about the MV. But it appears you can't do that without talking about an MPC.

Read the tyhread i didn't include the MPC until you did. Anyway, this pretty tired and redundant.

moyphee said:
Read the tyhread i didn't include the MPC until you did. Anyway, this pretty tired and redundant.

Why don't you try reading it again. The thread is about what the MV has that the 5K doesn't. A reply was made that the MV imports any sample format. I replied that the 5K does as well.

I agree that talking about MV vs MPC is tired and redundant. But this thread wasn't about that until you and others made it as such..as you do in every MPC specific thread. I think you just can't help yourself. Since you haven't given any additional input that relates to the topic of this thread...does that mean you are finished here?

jahrome said:
Why don't you try reading it again. The thread is about what the MV has that the 5K doesn't. A reply was made that the MV imports any sample format. I replied that the 5K does as well.

I agree that talking about MV vs MPC is tired and redundant. But this thread wasn't about that until you and others made it as such..as you do in every MPC specific thread. I think you just can't help yourself. Since you haven't given any additional input that relates to the topic of this thread...does that mean you are finished here?
You are contradicting yourself a lot lately...

Last edited:
1. Keymap sampler
2. Audio tracks with BPM sync (realtime timestretch)
3. Import Akai S1000/3000 files
4. Mastering Suite/Multi-band compression
4. 10 Band Vocoder
5. Pencil tool
6. Non-MIDI audio phrase – 16 banks

After 5 pages, this is what we came up with??

jahrome said:
After 5 pages, this is what we came up with??

1. VGA Output
2. Full multi-Color on-board screen
2. JPEG & BMP Importing for slideshows ( cool for some people)
3. Real Analog SH type modeling synth ( doesnt have to load samples )
4. True Pitch Shifting of audio tracks in real-time separate from timing

5. Killer MFX that poop all over Akai's ( everyone knows that )

6. True internal mixdown of audio tracks & all midi tracks and
ANYTHING that is connected to the audio inputs at the same time.

7. REAL-TIME quantize shifting ( you can input quantize , pop it in rehersal mode and make adjustments to the quantize from percentage , swing , rate% , & templates ALL IN REAL_TIME - non-destructive.

8. Fine tuning of samples as they are being played back from a sequence , including ADSR's , & sample editing , start , loop and end points , all while the sequencer is running.

9. Split note function from the sequencer screen ( break out all drums parts from a single sequenced track all out onto their own track in 1 click ie : kick drum , snare , clp , hi hat etc etc all on seperate tracks )

10. Pattern Play Mode for live use - lets you rock patterns AND any audio phrase all synced to a user set BPM , has 2 modes of immediate for stuttering type effects and playing instantly or wait mode which play a sequence in its entirety THEN plays the next sequence you tapped from the pads. you can layer audio phrases over this in real-time with BPM Sync.

I could keep going on but its pointless i only spent a few days with a 5k and didnt like it , had some funky bugs. Had a MV 8k and 88k for years and still love it and if your saying this is all we can come up with

KEEP THIS IN MIND ..... THE MV WAS DESIGNED BACK IN 2002 / 03

THE 5K JUST CAME OUT AND IT STILL ISnt on point with alot of what the MV can do.

I could care less about 4 midi outs and all the extra i/o

Last edited:
TechHouseGruv said:
1. VGA Output
2. Full multi-Color on-board screen
2. JPEG & BMP Importing for slideshows ( cool for some people)
3. Real Analog SH type modeling synth ( doesnt have to load samples )
4. True Pitch Shifting of audio tracks in real-time separate from timing

5. Killer MFX that poop all over Akai's ( everyone knows that )

6. True internal mixdown of audio tracks & all midi tracks and
ANYTHING that is connected to the audio inputs at the same time.

7. REAL-TIME quantize shifting ( you can input quantize , pop it in rehersal mode and make adjustments to the quantize from percentage , swing , rate% , & templates ALL IN REAL_TIME - non-destructive.

8. Fine tuning of samples as they are being played back from a sequence , including ADSR's , & sample editing , start , loop and end points , all while the sequencer is running.

9. Split note function from the sequencer screen ( break out all drums parts from a single sequenced track all out onto their own track in 1 click ie : kick drum , snare , clp , hi hat etc etc all on seperate tracks )

10. Pattern Play Mode for live use - lets you rock patterns AND any audio phrase all synced to a user set BPM , has 2 modes of immediate for stuttering type effects and playing instantly or wait mode which play a sequence in its entirety THEN plays the next sequence you tapped from the pads. you can layer audio phrases over this in real-time with BPM Sync.

#1 and #2 is hardware which isn't being addressed in this thread. The MPC 5K has #3 which is far superior to what the MV offers. #4 and #5 were already mentioned in previous posts. MPC 5K has #6, #7, and #8. The MPC 5K has #10 without BPM sync of audio.

So the updated list looks like this:

1. Keymap sampler
2. Audio tracks with BPM sync (realtime timestretch & pitch shift)
3. Import Akai S1000/3000 sample files and jpeg and bit map files
4. 10 Band Vocoder
5. Pencil tool
7. Split-note function which seperates parts to seperate tracks
8. Better effects (subjective)

Thanks. Keep the info coming.

Its clear that people buy the MV for totally different reason than they buy MPCs hence why the MPC supporter can live without certain features that an MV Supporter would deem as unacceptable to omit and vice versa. To me the MV experience was like running a tactile hardware DAW without the instabilities associated in most DAWs. The mpc is more or less a very basic machine with Very basic sequencing, editing and sampling features. I think its hardest for an MV user to understand why an MPC user would pay SO much money for such a limited device with outdated technology and features. Its very simple however, most mpc users dont want a DAW like experience, they want their old school fun feeling drum machine/ sequencer with just enough new technology to keep them from just sticking with their old machine. I think its silly to even argue whether the MV is better on paper cause it obviously is in so many ways. However that doesnt make it a better tool for everyone.

@Focused
Most of what you have written is not accurate at all and based upon your opinion. This is why the thread is about specific functions. So please share some specific software functions that the MV has that the MPC5K doesn't.

sounds like Jahrome is asking all this so he can compile a list then go back to his people @ Numakai and tell them to ad these features to the 5k.

TechHouseGruv said:
sounds like Jahrome is asking all this so he can compile a list then go back to his people @ Numakai and tell them to ad these features to the 5k.

1. Keymap sampler
4. 10 Band Vocoder
5. Pencil tool
7. Split-note function which seperates parts to seperate tracks
8. Better effects (subjective)

MPC Forums already has a list of feature requests for future MPCs that is quite extensive. Features that are much better than these.

@ jahromey romes since "Most" of what i said is "not accurate" please feel free to pick it apart and say exactly what is not accurate about it and base it soley on hard facts that are publically accessible. Thank you

Focused said:
@ jahromey romes since "Most" of what i said is "not accurate" please feel free to pick it apart and say exactly what is not accurate about it and base it soley on hard facts that are publically accessible. Thank you
I don't want to do go into details in this thread because then it will be about the MPC instead of the MV. But in general terms, the 5Ks sequencer is not basic by any means. I will write about that in another thread at a future date.

yea start by talking about the sequencer ppqn and note capacity..... :), and maybe talk about how advanced the editing is, and how robust the sequencer layout is

Last edited:
Focused said:
yea start by talking about the sequencer ppqn and note capacity..... :), and maybe talk about how advanced the editing is, and how robust the sequencer layout is
Yes. In that thread I will talk about the sequencers ppqn, grid edit, track/pad mutes, advanced quantize, realtime undo/redo, active sequencer in every mode, track/pad mixer, Q-link controls, ARP, etc. There is too much to talk about and needs a dedicated thread.

Back to MV features that are unavailable in the MPC5K:

1. Keymap sampler
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool
8. Non-MIDI audio phrase – 16 banks
9. Split-note function which seperates parts to seperate tracks
10. Better effects (subjective)

Last edited:
Why is this so important if you like the 5000 just do you dont worry about what the other hardware has

Seems to me that this thread was doomed at the start..

Jah,why do you care what the MV has over the MPC5K?Are you planning to pick one up in the near future or something?If you prefer your MPC over the MV then just do you.A list of features was posted to answer your question and you shot it down with.....

"MPC Forums already has a list of feature requests for future MPCs that is quite extensive. Features that are much better than these." AND "After 5 pages, this is what we came up with??"
Ok so now what?

Back