What the MV-8800 has that the MPC 5K doesn't

Bananasass said:
You're so completely ignorant about what professional producers truly use.

Pro Tools really is only one of many great DAWs out there. Do you really think no one uses Steinberg's products or Sony's high end software? Pro Tools is great, but some pieces of gear simply work better with different DAWs and lots of cats have different preferences. Same goes for the MV. Personally I think people that really give the MV a chance will easily see how it's actually on par with if not better than Akai's latest MPC.

You're talking about the 2000XL as if it's crap. Do you really think you've got any credibility left after such remarks?

I am not talking about Pro Tools LE. I am talking about Pro Tools HD TDM systems. It is the standard for recording and mixing. To deny this is silly. MPCs are the standard sampling drum machine/sequencers. They have been the standard for over 20 years. And this will not change any time soom. Akai has this market locked down. Nearly all producers that make hip-hop, R&B, pop, etc that use hardware sequencers..use an MPC. Very few (if any) use an MV. Why deny this fact?

I can't recall ever saying the MPC 2000 XL is crap. I owned one from 1999 to 2005. The MPC 2500 and 1000 are far superior to the XL in nearly every way. But the won't stop hit music coming from the XL nor any MPC.

But back to the MV. There is not much it can do that an MPC 5K can't. That is why the 5Ks list is 4x as long.

isn't this thread been "seen" like 10 pages ago? i don't think anyone else than banannas and jahrome who cares at this point.

very informative I thought about getting an 8800 because of its ease of use but I'm not down for buying a $800 - $1200 discontinued experiment thaks people for the info.

Garthe !?! are you kiddin me ? Oh yeah , now there's an icon of integrity. One look at how he handles his business and his credibility is shot. Besides, Chicken Systems is just two guys in an tiny office half-assing things. After a year, the MVKC still doesn't work reliably.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Something the MV8000 has that the MPC5K doesn't (software)

Stability. The MV is a rock.

very informative I thought about getting an 8800 because of its ease of use but I'm not down for buying a $800 - $1200 discontinued experiment thaks people for the info.

Lmao ^^. Anyway, I'm telling you grab these while you can. MV-8000/8800 is a future classic. Don't be afraid of it just cause it's requires a higher intelligence and an open mind to operate it, it's not perfect(no hardware is) and it's not what you expected it to be just because it looks like an MPC. The MV holds it's own, it doesn't need a legacy to carry it.

Not knocking MPC's or anything they're fine instruments and I owned one, just tired of ppl knocking the MV cause it's different or a little hard to operate at first. What I truly love about the MV is that it offers more then one work-flow cause I get tired of working the same way. When ever I wanna try something new or work differently, I never have to switch machines.

Basically you could get it all done on this one machine. It's a no nonsense machine, no it doesn't have a pretty GUI, no it doesn't make your music for you, no it doesn't work like an Akai MPC, it clearly says ROLAND MV PRODUCTION STUDIO, yes software kills it and all hardware so it's not even in that league. It dithers up to 24 bit in the mastering section so you could get higher sound quality if your worried, but it's fixed at 44.1kHz(most ppl can't even hear past 20kHz fyi).

It's a synth, controller, multi-track, sampler, sequencer, and photo player meaning if you have the vga you could program a slide-show to your song if your ever inclined. This is what the MV is in basic terms. If your open minded and want to learn it then by all means get it, if not, don't even bother just stick to what you know.

The MV is dope. I am a MPC 2500 owner, and I started to swoop a MV once the price for a new one went so low. My only main gripe is the 1 midi in/ 2out.

In my case the midi problem isn't am issue cause all I have hooked up is my emu ultra and I'm saving up for a pc3, thats about all the midi gear I'd ever need.

I'm still learning new things about the mv, I know it in and out on the technical side but haven't mastered it creatively yet. I feel like I only scratched the surface, and this is why I'm satisfied. As i grow it grows right along with me. I felt bored with the 1000 but then again I never tried the jjos.

Last edited:
What the MV has than an MPC doesn't? Tons of users that are looking for something better.

Is there any real value in these kinds of comments? Go gives a $4!T what your using to make music. Somebody please come up with the next big music thing so I can have something cool to listen too.

What the MV has than an MPC doesn't? Tons of users that are looking for something better.

That's pretty inaccurate considering the amount of people that have moved on from the MPC to Logic, Ableton Live and even Maschine. I'm in contact with many of the top tier of producers in the US....they are definitely moving on.

That's pretty inaccurate considering the amount of people that have moved on from the MPC to Logic, Ableton Live and even Maschine. I'm in contact with many of the top tier of producers in the US....they are definitely moving on.

Even Boon Doc shelved his MPC.

Can't blame folks though. It's not 1995 anymore. And something like Logic is a much more "in the box" solution then a MPC.

I'd still rock a 2500 though if someone gave me one. Always wanted one.

Every person is going to be different. I prefer tweaking knobs, sliders, switches, keys, banging pads while others prefer... mouse clicks.

Top tier producers...like who? And should I buy something because a top tier producer has one?

I have seen "top tier" producers that used an MPC...moved on to something else...and found their way back to an MPC. Also, MPC users (at least the ones I know), own Logic, Live, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc. They didn't move on? An MPC and Logic serves different functions...and you know this. Shame on you for confusing the youth. You are an NI spokesman so of course you will plug Maschine every chance you get. lol

Back